What Grade is My Shrimp?

Best Answer - View erbear's answer

SilverLake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Given that her entire shell and even legs are red, I would say highest grade. I won't give it an exact name as I've seen this grade sold as Painted Fire, Painted Sakura, Sakura Fire, and a few other combinations.

erbear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It looks like a high grade Fire Red maybe Painted Fire Red. I say maybe because of the slight orange tint to the shell (could be from the camera settings) as well as the breaks in color at the joints of the legs. A picture of the tail flipper would help

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
yukiyamallama said:
What grade is my red cherry shrimp? (Female)
IMG_4162.JPG
If you want to grade a colony it has alot to do with males also.

So what do your males look like? I have females that look like that with my cherry but my males are more see threw because traditional cherry

Correct me if I'm wrong someone with more knowledge.

I didnt think the single large female were the main grading point of colony

Attachments

emilyyyyy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
yukiyamallama said:
What grade is my red cherry shrimp? (Female)
IMG_4162.JPG
I would definitely say a high grade. Possibly a fire red? Beautiful shrimp though :)

marmaaa

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
WHat does grade mean and what is the role of having different shrimp grades, like does it mean one Is worth more?

erbear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SanDiegoRedneck said:
If you want to grade a colony it has alot to do with males also.

So what do your males look like? I have females that look like that with my cherry but my males are more see threw because traditional cherry

Correct me if I'm wrong someone with more knowledge.

I didnt think the single large female were the main grading point of colony
Any colony will have a mix of grades in it until you cull. Through culling you might have a purely Fire Red colony that may or may not produce true.

You're right that males show less coloration than females. There are ways to determine the quality of a breeding male through looking at offspring but you would grade them just like the rest.

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
marmaaa said:
WHat does grade mean and what is the role of having different shrimp grades, like does it mean one Is worth more?
Preference (not everyone likes same thing). But yes value changes usually but so can ease of care. So there is value in a cheaper shrimp that is easy to take care of that has lower grade.
If you were to sell.

marmaaa

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh wow the deep red color looks super cool. Does it mean that any higher grade shrimp need more care? Or it just depends on the type and there is no correlation between how high the grade is and the ease?

erbear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
marmaaa said:
Oh wow the deep red color looks super cool. Does it mean that any higher grade shrimp need more care? Or it just depends on the type and there is no correlation between how high the grade is and the ease?
Low grade Cherry Shrimp have been around for longer and are considered more hardy. Whereas high grade shrimp (for example, Painted Fire Red) are less established and are considered less hardy.

The theory behind this is that by selecting only for a specific phenotype (physical characteristic), in this instance red coloration, we also inadvertently select some genes that don't lend themselves fully to survivability.

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
marmaaa said:
That makes sense, I am looking to getting some shrimp once my tank is cycled are blue shrimp and different?
I have blue dream also. They are closely related to reds. Both neocaridina and I find both on the easy end of care.

The top shrimp keepers say go 3 extra weeks after cycle to stabilize. Shrimp are more sensitive than fish to ph, gh and kh changes.

erbear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
marmaaa said:
That makes sense, I am looking to getting some shrimp once my tank is cycled are blue shrimp and different?
Wild type shrimp are the hardiest. For color varieties red has been around the longest. Don't quote me on this but I think blue was next. I think green is relatively new.

It's my understanding that Blue are harder to keep than Red but if you know what you're doing it's not a huge difference.

marmaaa

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
erbear said:
Wild type shrimp are the heartiest. For color varieties red has been around the longest. Don't quote me on this but I think blue was next. I think green is relatively new.

It's my understanding that Blue are harder to keep than Red but if you know what you're doing it's not a huge difference.
Oh okay, thank you for that, I have not really seen green yet but will look into them although I will most likely get red only for the future.

erbear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
marmaaa said:
Oh okay, thank you for that, I have not really seen green yet but will look into them although I will most likely get red only for the future.
There are some really cool varieties out there. If you get the chance Google or YouTube search Neocaridina color varieties!

New Threads