What gouramis are "dwarf" gouramis?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by orangeclumsy1, Dec 22, 2012.

1. orangeclumsy1

orangeclumsy1 Valued Member Member

I'm wanting a dwarf gourami as the centerpiece for my 29 gallon. What gouramis are considered dwarfs?

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

"Dwarf" Gouramis come in three colors. Red, cobalt (powder blue), and normal. Normal ones have stripes. Powder blues are just solid blue. Reds have a red body with a bright blue dorsal fin.

Other smaller gouramis include Honey Gouramis, Sparkling Gouramis, Licorice Gouramis, etc. Dwarf Gouramis are the most aggressive small gourami by far. I would go with a pair of Honey Gouramis in a 29g. But you can also keep a single Dwarf in a 29g. Two Dwarfs need at least 55g.

3. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

I like the idea of a pair of honeys. Do they need to be a male/female pair?

4. RogueAgent94

It would be better if they were male and female but it isn't necessary.

5. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Rogue, you've found dwarfs to be the most aggressive in your experience? I know Magoo kept hers with endlers, and from the research I've done (thinking of getting one) they're usually mentioned as being the bullied fish, not the aggressors.

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

IME as well, dwarf gouramis are by far the most aggressive. The thing is, is that the general health of the species is very poor right now, and so that can influence the fish's behavior.

7. RogueAgent94

Yeah Zumi. Dwarfs are by far the most aggressive small species of gourami. Opalines and Giants are more aggressive than Dwarfs but they aren't considered small gouramis.

8. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

How do I tell the sexes apart on honey gouramis?

9. RogueAgent94

It's fairly easy. Males are much more colorful while females are pretty bland. Males have pointed dorsal fins. The picture at the bottom of the following link should give you a good idea:  

10. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

Aren't all young honey gouramis kinda bland in color though?

11. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I am going to step in and put my 2 cents out there, With pairs of gourami, it does matter on sex, for any species. Male honeys can be aggressive with each other and almost always have some form of pecking order, civil it may be. If you want a pair that sticks together, go for Male with a Female or 2 females, if you want a pair that swims a bit separate and each fish does its own thing, go with 2 male. I wouldn't put 2 males in anything less then a 20 though for honeys, just to give them their space. Other small species include the Pygmy(smallest of the easy care) and Croaking(about 3" but pretty chill).

To answer the initial question, only one species of Gourami is considered a Dwarf gourami, and that is the Dwarf Gourami XP. It is a confusing term but it only applies to one species. They really arn't that small compared to others too. Honeys, pygmy, chocolate,samurai, licorice are all smaller. They own the title of being the most aggressive of the smaller species hands down. Opalines, kissing and such are much worse but they arn't small.

For a 29 you could do a few options
    trio of honeys(1male 2 female or 3 female)
    Pair of male honeys(wouldn't throw a female in this mix)
    5 pygmy gourami(sexing is hard enough, unless you know someone experienced)
    1 thick lip
    male banded
    trio of female banded or thick lips. I have done the later in my 29.

I feel like im missing something

12. RogueAgent94

Depends on how young they are. Most large pet stores (PetSmart&PetCo) only carry males.

13. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

The store I'm going to buy from is a locally owned and operated pet store, so basically whatever they don't have I can special order. So I don't think it should be a problem getting a male/female pair of honeys. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice