What goes with african cichlids?

AngelMysteria

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My tank looks empty. 4 small chiclids - it looks very boring. I want to do some "sea-scaping" if you will. I have a feeling that not much can go with these guys except other african chiclids. and maybe pleco's. Any suggestions on how to make the tank look more attractive/appealing to the eye. And are there any other fish that could possibly go with them....or am i right in saying it's best if it's just their species only.

AngelMysteria

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's only a 10 gallon. So I'm trying to be cautious of over crowding it - but at the same time it looks quite empty. (and may i add these fish are fast - when I put food in there - they dart like lightening!!)

Edited.
Ken

Angela_96

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
10 gallons is a little small for african cichlids, they need at least a 55g tank with plenty of room to grow, and overcrowding.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I agree with Angela and the African Cichlids should really have 55g or more. Anything smaller is more than likely going to be a disaster waiting to happen. Too, it's my understanding that African Cichlids should only be housed with other African Cichlids.

Best wishes.

Ken

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What kind of African cichlids are they? Overstocking only applies to Mbuna species, which only make up a small percentage of the Afrian cichlids available. If you do have Mbuna then a 55gal tank is the minimum required & overstocking, to a point, is a good thing. If you have other types of Africans though, overstocking can be disasterous & there are even a few that a 10gal tank is suitable for.

I can offer mre advice when I know what kind of fish they are or if you can post photos so they can be ID'd & then recommendations made.

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Frankly that is way small for african. You can use this for reference.

Good Luck.

DEEPBLUEGUY

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I many MALAWI cichlid tanks and breed PEACOCKS, YELLOW LABS AND RED EMPRESS. A 20gal tall is a nice size for certain types. All Malawi fish have different personalities and some are more agressive than others. Keep only similiar species together unless you are an expert. And dont mix with other cichlids from other lakes....dont put two males together .... GOOD LUCK

Angela_96

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Malawi Cichlids are bottom dwelling fish (mbuna, example: labs, kenyi, zebras) They need a big foot print tank, 55g, 75g, or 90+g. Tall tanks do not do well with mbuna for that reason.
The translation of Mbuna is rock-dwelling, meaning they live in caves in the rocks.
You can put 2 males together if they are of different species and each male has 2+ females to mate with. example a male lab with 2+ females and a red zebra male with 2+ females.

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Breaking news: Africa is home to cichlids from very different areas, not all "African cichlids" are from the rift lakes (Malawi and Tanganyika)!

My four Steatocranus casuarius are African, but they come from the River Zaire/Congo and are currently living with a range of fish that originate from riverine systems...

Angela_96

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Most of us fishkeepers do know that "breaking news" as I stated, Malawi Cichlids and didn't name any other species from any other lakes. I have nigerian cichlids as well in a low ph river setup.
There are more rift lakes than Tang and Malawi as well.

However, what is sold at the majority of fish store that is labled "Mixed African Cichlids" are in fact malawi cichlids with mixtures of labs, kenyi, acei and zebras... mostly hybrids at that.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom