What goes well with Mollies?

1. Marc Well Known Member Member

Well, after seeing my tank my mom decided to get a 33gal long for my living room - there is a perfect spot where it fits just right. She likes the Balloonbelly Mollies and I'm covering everything for cycling/decorating/setting it up, but she needs an algae eater and something to clean. She thinks plecos are ugly and doesn't really like Corydoras. I can't find any Otos locally (if she say them she'd like them) and I really need some help. She doesn't like fish for their personality but as a decoration. The mollies have very vibrant colors (ivory silver, black, orange - all high contrast) and the tank is going to have natural colored gravel, plants, and maybe some driftwood and red slate.

Basically, I'm looking to see what would help clean the tank. We will NOT be putting salt in. Also, any suggestions for decorations would be nice :)

Oh, and it's got just over 1 WPG, so it can support medium-low light plants, right?

2. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

no medium plants and mollies wont be happy without salt you do know that right so maybe you could get some other pretty fish would make it easier to help you since your mollies wont like it without salt

3. Marc Well Known Member Member

They don't need the salt. They're kept just fine at this pet store in plain fresh water.

What WPG is needed for medium-low light plants?

4. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

well you can try it but i guess it depends on peoples opionios but 1wpg is low light and under that is really low and around 2wpg is medium and around 3 is high i think but at 1 you can get a lot of plants such as crypts anubias some swords java moss java fern hornwort and so far my val is doing good at .666 wpg you can try mediium plants and do a trial and error method which is what i do

are you going to get all mollies

how about siasmese alage eaters and corys for the bottom though they would perfer sand

5. Marc Well Known Member Member

She likes the prettier Corys (Adolfoi) but I'm still looking for suggestions. She wants small stuff.

6. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

tetras rasboras

i am going to my lfs AGAIN yaa tomorow i can look at some SMALL fish for some suggestions

7. Marc Well Known Member Member

If I'm not mistaken tetras and rasboras don't clean the tank.. ;)

Possibly a CUTE Pleco which will stay at about 2 inches? I've never seen one, is there one..?

8. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

yup there are

9. vin Well Known Member Member

I would try some Juli Corys...Show them to Mom - they're pretty cool, have little speckles on them and stay small PLUS they look as if they're winking at you!.....Not sure where you are, but Otos can be found at Petco in Hamden, CT.......Just saw some there last week.

If you want color, you can also go with Neon Blue Dwarf Gouramis or Flame Red Dwarf Gouramis....They're peaceful and very colorful...Especially the males. Just be sure that if you get a pair that you get one of each sex and get them at the same time so they will bond quicker and easier.

You can also go with Fancy Guppies, but watch out if you get any sort of barbs as they will nip at the tails of the guppies and the Gouramis.

Decorate it with rocks and driftwood that you can find at a local fish store. Make sure you have some caves for cover and places for your bottom dwellers to hide. Floating plants for the gouramis will help them to feel safer.

Anubias Nana is a nice foreground plant that uses low light. As for something that will get a bigger, look into some varieties of swords. Or you can always mix some artificial with real and build it up slowly.

10. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

the plecos are pitbull 2" and bulldog 3-4" thats what i know of

11. Marc Well Known Member Member

Yes, she really liked the anubias when I showed her, and she LOVED an Amazon Sword we saw at PetLand. I'm going to see what they have at Purr-Fect before I buy any plants though, they had a nice selection there. I was hoping to find some Watersprite and see how it did in the tank because it looks pretty nice.

She really doesn't want fish that will be out and about as much as the mollies, unless it's alot smaller than them. Just talked to her about this and I've showed her a few Corys that she really liked, now I just have to find them (gonna be a pain, never seen them stocked). Have you seen anyone selling Araguaiaensis? I can probably order Adolfoi or Trilineatus.

I may see if she'll take a trip to that PetCO then to see if she likes the Otos, since she says doesn't like the pictures that much. I showed her some Julii at Turnpike Pet Ctr. and she thought they were too big.

12. vin Well Known Member Member

Marc -

Choice Pet down here in Monroe (rte 111) has some Juli Corys in stock - $3.99 ea. I think....They've got some pretty decent fish and the guy that runs the fish dept. is studying marine biology......

Good Luck, Dog....

For a 33 gallon, I'm not sure how small she wants to go..... ??? If she goes too small they're going to get lost in that big "lake"! LOL!! ;)

The Corys won't get much bigger than 2 1/2".........And they hide much of the time under cover....You won't find them that stay any smaller than that.....

I suggested some Endlers Livebearers to someone else. They've got great color and max out at 1"......

Check them out...... http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1584&N=0

13. Marc Well Known Member Member

Well, my mom doesn't always explain herself fully. Hard to get a straight answer on what she wants :)

She wants the Mollies to be the main focus of the tank. No other fish except for cleaners. She doesn't want many more fish, and I've managed to convince her to at least get the Corydoras for cleaning. She likes the smaller ones - I've got a list of ones she likes that stay under 2 inches. That isn't going to be a problem :) (I hope)

There were some different sized Julii at Turnpike and she just doesn't like the pattern and wouldn't like them once they got bigger. Hopefully she'll like Otos once she sees the real thing because she doesn't like Plecos (showed her like 80 pleco pictures and she doesn't like any except Emperor - but those get too big). If we see some Bulldog Pleco she may/may not like them.

She's VERY picky and some fish she won't like unless she sees the real thing. I may get a SAE and once it gets too big I'll put it in my tank.

I'm getting Endlers the next time I see them in stock at Pet Land. They had 1 female last time I went, so I got more Corydoras instead (can't get enough) :)

14. vin Well Known Member Member

Can you give me the list of corys that stay under 2" because I've never seen or heard of any that do...... ???

15. Marc Well Known Member Member

Panda, Adolfoi, and of course the pygmys, to name a few.

16. vin Well Known Member Member

Hmmm.....Are you sure about that? Everything I've read on the species you've listed indicate they can get as big as
    2-1/2"....with the exception of the pygmy Cory....I've just had a hard time finding any of these 3 locally....I like all 3 of them but I wouldn't be surprised to see a Panda or an Adolfoi get larger than 2".....

17. Marc Well Known Member Member

Well, I've looked at a few different sites and they all say that Pandas are under 1.5 inches. I haven't looked too thoroughly at Adolfoi but it says about the same.

18. vin Well Known Member Member

Cool! Now all you have to do is find them.......If and when you do please let me know where since we live close to each other.

thx.

19. Marc Well Known Member Member

I'm going to Turnpike Pet Ctr. this Sunday with a list of about 25 fish to see if they can order :)

I'll let you know. They do have Pandas there - the ones I got were hardly hardy and 3 died. They had a tank with some Habrosus labeled as Pygmy Cory - they're a pygmy, but ya know what I mean :)

20. vin Well Known Member Member

That's the thing about corys. Sometimes they are tough to adapt to water conditions....Maybe next time allow them to acclimate to the water in the bag a little longer. You did use the mix method I would assume.....