What goes well with a Betta?

1. Marc

Marc Well Known Member Member

Well, I just 'rescued' two Betta from someone who didn't want to care for them anymore. I am getting a 20gal for the time being (I may later decide to get them their own 'all in one' tanks) and I can't tell what goes best with them. I currently have one in my 55gallon and I may have to remove it when I get the rest of my fish in it (bristlenose catfish, angelfish, ram cichlids) if it gets aggresive. The other one is in it's old home and now has twice the swimming space but I hate to leave it alone, cramped, and cold.

So, what fish can get along well with a betta? Keep in mind it's a 20gal ;) I was thinking of an otto cat or two, as I know Chickadee has success in keeping them together - but I'd like other fish in there as well. Do they get along well with Ram Cichlids, Cherry Barbs, or Zebra Danios? These are my favorite smaller fish at the moment so I'd like them in there, but any other suggestions will be appreciated and considered as well :)

Thanks for your time!

2. k

knight fish New Member Member

3. f

fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

Betta's are compatable with Cory cats,Danios,guppy's,mollies,platys,rasbora and tetras
    also will you be posting any pics soon i like all the diffrent colors Betta's come in

4. OP
    OP
    Marc

Well, I may not be posting pics as my camera is HORRIBLE. It'll be tough to get a good shot but I'll show it if I get one :)

It's a deep red with silver/blue streaks in it's fins and a very slight blue tint to part of it's scales.

I guess I could get some cory cats as I really don't have any of those :) Or, after some thought, I could do something like Chickadee has and get each their own ~5gal or so all-in-one tank.

5. atmmachine816

atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

my betta gets along with all the fish in my tank

6. J

Jon Well Known Member Member

Fish_R_Friend are they really compatible with guppies? i thought they would nip the large fins especially on male guppies

7. f

fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

8. OP
    OP
    Marc

Many people I've talked to have said that bettas and the MALE fancy guppies don't get along. It all depends on fin size.

9. E

EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Well, most of the time, any bottom feeders are ignored in the community tank by the other fish, and they are definitely not fin nippers, so cory cats, small plecos, etc are always a good choice. They say that Betta's have really distinctive personalities so one may be able to get along well with certain fish and another may not. I did hear though that tetras and tiger barbs are bad tankmates for Betta's, because they will rip the Betta's fins, but I do not know from experience. I have my male Betta in a 10 gallon with 2 African dwarf frogs and 2 black catfish and they get along great!

10. J

Jon Well Known Member Member

i think the best thing is just to put them with little fish with little fins

11. E

EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Yeah, fish with colorful fins (like the dwarf gourami's) are kind of like a mirror image for a betta. Even though they are not the same fish, they see them as being so, so it encourages them to be aggressive. But some small hyper fish are fin nippers, so i would use caution. My LFS said danios were okay but definately not tetras, so it's a temperament thing