What Gh Range Is Optimal For Platys?

Discussion in 'Platy' started by Platyfish17, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Platyfish17

Platyfish17New MemberMember

I am planning on keeping platys. But I am caught up with some conflicting information, and I am unsure what the truth is. What is the optimal GH range for platy fish? Because I have a book about aquariums and fish and for platys it says "hard (100-150mg/L (5.62-8.43 dGH)), and then Wikipedia says "moderately hard", another website says 10-25 dGH, another website says "soft to hard", another site says (dGH): 12 - 18°N, is the "N" a typo or does it mean something? the next one says "medium to hard dH range: 10-28". What GH level do yous have in your platy (maculatus and variatus) tanks? Also I have read that when they say "hard" or "soft" that they are referring to GH and not KH, but can it be KH sometimes? All help will be completely appreciated, thankyou.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  2. Heron

HeronValued MemberMember

The term hard can refer to both general hardness GH and alkaline hardness KH ( this is also sometimes called temporary hardness or carbonate hardness ). KH is mainly important for acting as a PH buffer that is it keeps pH stable, some KH is a good thing but for most tanks a kH of 4-6 is sufficient to do this, a kH above this will do no harm but is unimportant. With fish that need harder water it's the GH that they need more of . GH is the ammount of disolved minerals in the water. I have never kept platy's but I have guppies and mollies and they are said to like medium to hard water and they do well with a gH of around 10

3. OP
    OP
    Platyfish17

Platyfish17New MemberMember

Thanks for the reply, but you know when you go to a fish profile on a website, magazine, or book about fish, how sometimes they state the hardness preferred (in ppm or mg/L) by the fish and they don't state whether it is GH or KH. What I was asking was, incases like those where they don't state what it is, is it always GH or can it sometimes be KH? Because I have read that it is always GH, but I was wondering if it can be KH sometimes. And a GH of 10 for guppies and mollies, cool that gives me an clue thanks.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  4. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

I find that they typically refer to GH, General Hardness. I personally don't pay much attention to ideal parameters and try to fit into them; platies and mollies will love in hard or soft water, but definitely do better in hard water and will breed in it. I know my water has lots of dissolved minerals and is very hard water, which is good enough for me--and my Mollies and platies.
    There are various scales of hardness and ways to measure it. The inconsistencies are annoying, I know. Here's some links that might help you:

How to Measure Water Hardness
    Hardness convertor
    Water hardness converter