What Gender Are My Mollies

SophieGreenTerrace

Can anyone help to sex my mollies? 2 of them are very friendly and I'm really not ready to breed!
Sorry for the terrible quality photos, they don't really "pose"!

Thank you!

Giul

It’s hard to tell from the pictures but they both appear male. My orange platy is a female and you can tell by the orange fan shaped analfin, meanwhile my black molly’s analfin is more thin and straight

SophieGreenTerrace

Oh I see, the dalmatian is a bit fanned, though not so much as yours. Would being nosed around that area point towards it being female?

Princethepurplebetta

The all white molly is male, the dalmation is female. If you don't want breeding id rehome or separate the dalmation.

SophieGreenTerrace

Oh dear, that's what I was afraid of. How do you all deal with fry, I heard you have to remove them before the adults eat them? Will the pet shop take them to sell?

Princethepurplebetta

SophieGreenTerrace said:
Oh dear, that's what I was afraid of. How do you all deal with fry, I heard you have to remove them before the adults eat them? Will the pet shop take them to sell?
I usually separate the fry into a cycled tank, and then sell them to my lfs. Maybe call your lfs and see if they take fry?

If your going to keep the 2 adult mollies you will want to add 1 or 2 more females so your male doesn't pester the dalmation too much. He could potentially stress her out to death.

SophieGreenTerrace

Oh no, poor girl! Maybe I would be better to rehome her. What about this one?

Princethepurplebetta

Pretty sure that ones a female too

SophieGreenTerrace

So one male with 2 females isn't so bad? I don't want to get rid of any of them

Princethepurplebetta

SophieGreenTerrace said:
So one male with 2 females isn't so bad? I don't want to get rid of any of them
Its not to bad if anything maybe add 1 more female. But they should be ok

Giul

From the second picture the Dalmatian looks female and the last one appears female as well. The group should be okay just prepare for fry

Coptapia

Stoka

Mollies, platys, guppies. I only keep males. Otherwise way too many fish. Unless your LFS will buy or trade for them.

SophieGreenTerrace

Thank you all, I guess I assumed the pet shop would keep males and females separate, I should've specified I only wanted males.
I didn't even know one wasn't a molly, you can tell I'm new! Will she be happy with those fish, or should she be with other sword tails?
How often will the mollies breed? I'll speak to my lfs and see what I can do

Stoka

Most livebearers will get along with one another fairly well. They will also drop babies about once a month.

Coptapia

They can’t interbreed.

SophieGreenTerrace

Stoka said:
Mollies, platys, guppies. I only keep males. Otherwise way too many fish. Unless your LFS will buy or trade for them.
Is there a reason why it's males you keep? Could I have a tank of only females?

Stoka

It’s just easier. Females are always pregnant and can store sperm for months and have brood after brood even with no males present. That’s a lot of catching and removing fry.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom