What Gender Are My Mollies?

Discussion in 'Sexing Livebearers' started by Holmyjj42, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Holmyjj42

Holmyjj42New MemberMember

I’m new to aquariums and dealing with fish. Have just recently upgraded my 10g tank to 20g and was always curious as to what gender my Dalmatian molly and panda molly are. Also have two clown loaches and don’t know they’re gender either. They’re currently hiding so I can’t take a photo of them.

Attached Files:

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Those are all male

3. OP
    OP
    Holmyjj42

thank you!

4. MrBryan723

Of course.:) Wouldn't have a clue about loaches tho.

5. OP
    OP
    Holmyjj42

I was reading and apparently the males have brighter red in their fins and red on the tip of there dorsal, females have a darker red. Also have this ballon molly I’m assuming is a male.

Attached Files:

6. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

You can tell by their fins, if its fan shaped its female pointy its male. In the 2nd pic yoir dalmation looks like its a female.

Also a 10g is too small for clown loaches they get a foot big

7. OP
    OP
    Holmyjj42

You misread they are in a 20 long tank now. They were in a 10g tank initially until I found out they needed a bigger tank.

8. MrBryan723

It indeed is. The long skinny thing hanging out of it is its "penis" basically. It's a fin designed to be able to inseminate a female. (Its the one with the little oar looking thing at the tip)

9. OP
    OP
    Holmyjj42

Ah okay makes sense. The panda molly started nipping at him and the Dalmatian molly recently so I’m trying to work through that. Just had him quarantined for a couple days but he seems to be fine now. My wife was worried the panda would nip to the point of killing the other mollies

10. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

I missed that part but sorry a 20 is still to small. They really need a 100+g

11. MrBryan723

The dalmatian could be female but I've never seen one that size that wasn't already full of eggs. It's exceptionally rare for livebearers to bully another fish to death, but not unheard of. The loaches will need a much larger tank in the future. Because they do indeed get rather large.

12. OP
    OP
    Holmyjj42

Yea I’m aware I will be upgrading the tank sixe down the road if they make it to that size but I hope that the panda stops nipping because I don’t want to have to rehome him. So far he seems to have adjusted to the quarantine and I got some new aquarium accessories from the last time he was in it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice