what food for the new tank?

1. mrgoogls Member Member

hi guys! im getting my first tank very soon and want to know what food i will need for the different fish. ( like if some eat flacks and others eat algae wafers)i just need to know what the different fish in the tank will eat. just give me a list of the food i will need to buy and tell me whtat fish eats that food please.

i am getting:
    2 blue acaras
    2 angels
    12 kuhli loachs
    1 rainbow shark
    about 15 rosy barbs
    oh and this is a 90 gal if that matters. also, a little out of place but could i possibly put in like a rubberlip pleco? if not that could you reccomend some snails tht wont take over my tank

2. cameronpalte Member Member

If snails ever do take over your tank there are assasin snails. As for your fish, I am not 100% sure all your fish can go together, so you may want to check for compatibility... but not sure.

You said your getting your first tank soon so fish and food you can wait a few weeks because your tank will take at least a month to cycle probably more, unless you use something like tetra safe start in which case you can start right away:).

Now for your food. I would recommend getting thera a full life spectrum pellets, fish love them, but also some meaty foods like brine shrimp and blood worms. Meaty foods are good for some fish.

3. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Barbs are known to be nippy, so you may not want to keep them with your angels. I plan to get an angel, and I've been told to avoid barbs. I am not familiar with acaras, so if that have huge bioloads then ignore this, but you don't seem to have a lot of fish planned. Obviously having room to grow is a great thing, but I think if you wanted to add a few more (depending on the fish, of course) you probably could. (I should probably look into this "acaras" before I open my big mouth...:) )

Everyone seems to recommend NLS food (New Life Spectrum). I just bought my first jar today (small fish formula), so I can't comment on it yet, but I read a great article written by its founder, and it seems like good stuff. They use whole fish, not just leftover parts; lots of vitamins, low ash content, etc etc. The author said he's fed his fish nothing but for over a decade, and everyone's doing great. (He listed a bunch of supposedly "hard-to-care-for" fish, but I wasn't familiar with any of them. :)) From what I've deduced (just wrote a thread about it today), the difference between the "_____-size fish" formula (I got small fish, for example) and the Thera A formula is that the latter has more garlic, which has all sorts of (purportedly) awesome benefits such as appetite stimulation and antibacterial properties. (I say "purportedly" because I doubt any true studies have been done, but many members vouch for garlic's positive effects.) The large-size jar I got was $10 at PetCo; if you can't find any near you, you can find it on Amazon for a comparable price (plus shipping, of course).

Good luck with your tank!

4. mrgoogls Member Member

Thanks for the input guys! I do know about the nitrogen cycle already. I acually have another thread on my stocking for my tank and it seems it will work great but that is just about all I can have. I might be able to squeeze 1 or 2 mOre fish because for filtration I will have 905 gob with a Tom of bio media. As long as the fish are nice because it may be a little cramped. And once again thanks for the input.