What Food Do You Feed Your Shrimp?

Jellibeen
Currently, I have cherry shrimp in a tank that also has a few fry in it. They all get frozen baby brine shrimp everyday. Should I be feeding the shrimp something else, especially after the fry have outgrown the tank? I have found a lot of different shrimp foods online but have no idea which is best.

LunaSky
My shrimp really take flake food. You have to be careful with fry tanks though as you don’t want the ammonia to get too bad. You can also add algae wafers and remove any uneaten food after 12 hours using a turkey baster.

Jellibeen
My tank hasn’t tested for ammonia since it cycled. I break up those little minI cubes and give them part of one everyday, so it’s
not a ton of food. I think the shrimp eat a lot of it as well.

Any special flake food, or just regular flake food? I know I have some that is copper-free. My shrimpies also get kale for calcium. I’d rather not keep feeding them frozen food everyday once my fry grow up.

MD_Plants
I use shirakura shrimp foot. They are hard but after 30 minutes there’s a ball of shrimp around them. It never clouds up, lasts for days, and they love it. It dosnt break apart and they love it. Babies to adults eat jt

richiep
If your going to buy online and you want the best for your shrimp go with this guy
marksshrimptanks
I get all my shrimp food from him and have done for a few years, also you can feed spinach
Put 3 or 4 leave in boiling water for 40 seconds then cool with cold water,I slide mine onto wooden sticks but be careful the spinach is very tender and will break, see picture

Attachments

• 20180825_205438.jpg
    20180825_205438.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 163
zetvi
I feed my homegrown dried mulberry leaves mostly and 2-3 days with commercial food from Shrimp King foods on amazon

e18c72000cbe61ef8753b9f1b4717fcc.jpg

c0b7e97b69ce3ac155e817722998420b.jpg

Jellibeen
What veggies do you recommend feeding them? I will check out some commercial food and pick some out.

richiep
ZucchinI cut in half length ways take out the seeds, boil in chunks of about 2inches long for 7 minutes, let cool and drop in tank for 2hrs or so. BroccolI stem cooked, again don't leave in tank longer than 2hrs

Jellibeen
I have been leaving small, about one inch by a half inch, pieces of kale in the tank. Should I take those out after two hours as well? They've been tearing them apart over the course of a day or so. I've been removing it when it is in shambles.

richiep
If they are constantly on the food like mine in the picture above then leave it but once interest as gone remove it,

jmaldo
Mine devour Zucchini, Brussels sprouts, shrimp pellets and the occasional algae wafer. Never had to remove any food its gone in less then 24 hours. Good Luck!

RCS Brussel Sprout.jpg

PonzLL
I grow mulberry trees in my yard but don't know if they're the right kind of leaf to feed them. Does any type of mulberry work? Seems like a nice, free alternative to spinach

BottomDweller
I have been leaving small, about one inch by a half inch, pieces of kale in the tank. Should I take those out after two hours as well? They've been tearing them apart over the course of a day or so. I've been removing it when it is in shambles.
I leave vegetables in until they're gone. I don't take them out unless they've been sitting for 3 days or more. I do have rabbit snails and amano shrimp in the same tank as them that help with eating though.

HairyCatFish
My 3 new Japanese algae eating shrimp love algae chips (the ones I bought for my clown pleco and that he completely ignores, lol) I break them into tiny pieces and drop a small piece in once in a while. It's fun to watch them eat it. Also fun to watch them stand on my marimo moss balls and pick on that.

Dch48
My Cherries and Blue Velvets are getting crumbled TetraMin flakes and pieces of Tetra Pleco wafer and Omega One shrimp pellets. They are rapidly learning what is food and where to find it. the tank is new so there is no algae and probably very little biofilm. There are no babies yet but I ordered a product called Bacter AE that is supposed to be the best food for shrimp. They can not only eat the granules but the product stimulates the development of biofilm that shrimplets need to feed on.

Tsin21
I feed mine some TetraBits granules and an algae wafer daily. I feed them daily since the snails finish off all the remaining food. And they are always foraging on the moss and roots of the floating plants.

Jellibeen
thank you everyone for all the recommendations! I haven’t decided yet what I will get.

Does anyone know any foods that are high in calcium? I am currently working on boosting my gh, as I keep cherries and it was quite low. I can’t remember off the top of my head but it was in the two or three range.

Dch48
thank you everyone for all the recommendations! I haven’t decided yet what I will get.

Does anyone know any foods that are high in calcium? I am currently working on boosting my gh, as I keep cherries and it was quite low. I can’t remember off the top of my head but it was in the two or three range.
Tetra Pleco Wafers have added calcium and so do TetraMin Tropical Flakes. I like the flakes because they have a good mix of meat and vegetable protein. Both foods contain algae meal and the Pleco wafers even have zucchinI in them which is high in calcium. Neither one contains any form of copper which is very important to avoid.

Jellibeen
H
Tetra Pleco Wafers have added calcium and so do TetraMin Tropical Flakes. I like the flakes because they have a good mix of meat and vegetable protein. Both foods contain algae meal and the Pleco wafers even have zucchinI in them which is high in calcium. Neither one contains any form of copper which is very important to avoid.

How do you feed them the flakes? Excuse me if that’s a silly question. Do they eat them off the surface or do you need to sink them? My tank is covered heavily in floating red rooters and (unfortunately) duckweed. They are always foraging among the plants but i’m not sure how easily they would find flakes among them.

Dch48
H

How do you feed them the flakes? Excuse me if that’s a silly question. Do they eat them off the surface or do you need to sink them? My tank is covered heavily in floating red rooters and (unfortunately) duckweed. They are always foraging among the plants but i’m not sure how easily they would find flakes among them.
I put some water in a small cup. Then I sprinkle a pinch of the crumbled flakes into the cup and poke them around with a toothpick until almost all are sunken. Then I pour the water into the tank. I have also taken a small pinch and released them with my fingers under the surface of the tank. I don't like floating plants so I don't have any.

Jellibeen
Thanks, i’m gonna try that!

Does anyone feel weird about feeding shrimp food with things like “wheat protein” in them?

Dch48
Thanks, i’m gonna try that!

Does anyone feel weird about feeding shrimp food with things like “wheat protein” in them?
Nahh, it won't hurt them. It's good plant based protein. You can use Omega One Flakes but they are almost entirely meat based and shrimp like plant mater as well. Omega does make a veggie flake too though. Some algae wafers might be better than the Tetra Pleco Wafers. It's up to you . Just don't use anything with copper in it.

I got the Bacter AE and shrimp seem to like it. Especially the blue ones. I'm sure they were raised on it and recognize it as food. I only use a very small amount every 3 days or so and some of it remains visible floating at the top for at least 48 hours. Shrimp go up and skI'm upside down across the surface trying to get some.

MD_Plants
They sink eventually, or the fish swim up the the surface and skI'm it off the top.

Dch48
They sink eventually, or the fish swim up the the surface and skI'm it off the top.
Fish? We don't need no stinkin' fish ! LOL (if anyone remembers Blazing Saddles). There are no fish in the tank. Only the 12 shrimp.

MD_Plants
lol sorry I meant the shrimp. They swim upside down and skI'm it off

Dch48
lol sorry I meant the shrimp. They swim upside down and skI'm it off
Yeah, I said they were doing that.

Jellibeen
I started feeding them Shirakura shrimp food and they are molting like crazy! I actually saw one molt in front of me. I freaked out cos I thought it went belly up and died. I investigated what I thought was a corpse but turns out, it was just an exoskeleton. I think they like their food a lot.

As a bonus, the snails have been flocking to it which makes it easier to relocate them to my 29 gallon to be loach snacks.

richiep
When you use your Bactor AE mix it In cup with aquarium water then spread it around the tank that way it all disperses in the water and helps form biofilm

MD_Plants
Aye I’m happy you took my suggestion! Yeah my shrimp and snails loveeee them. I can pick up a ball of rams and put them in my other tank. All age of shrimps love to eat them!

Dch48
When you use your Bactor AE mix it In cup with aquarium water then spread it around the tank that way it all disperses in the water and helps form biofilm
Yes but some still floats for a couple of days.

I tried something today and discovered my shrimp love it. Frozen Bloodworm. They fight over it.

adagona
I crush some pellets and let them sink in the tank. I also occasionally throw in a cucumber slice

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JenC
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Top Bottom