What Food Do You Feed Your Shrimp?

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Currently, i have cherry shrimp in a tank that also has a few fry in it. They all get frozen baby brine shrimp everyday. Should i be feeding the shrimp something else, especially after the fry have outgrown the tank? I have found a lot of different shrimp foods online but have no idea which is best.

LunaSky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My shrimp really take flake food. You have to be careful with fry tanks though as you don’t want the ammonia to get too bad. You can also add algae wafers and remove any uneaten food after 12 hours using a turkey baster.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My tank hasn’t tested for ammonia since it cycled. I break up those little mini cubes and give them part of one everyday, so it’s
not a ton of food. I think the shrimp eat a lot of it as well.

Any special flake food, or just regular flake food? I know i have some that is copper-free. My shrimpies also get kale for calcium. I’d rather not keep feeding them frozen food everyday once my fry grow up.

MD_Plants

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I use shirakura shrimp foot. They are hard but after 30 minutes there’s a ball of shrimp around them. It never clouds up, lasts for days, and they love it. It dosnt break apart and they love it. Babies to adults eat jt

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If your going to buy online and you want the best for your shrimp go with this guy
marksshrimptanks.com
I get all my shrimp food from him and have done for a few years, also you can feed spinach
Put 3 or 4 leave in boiling water for 40 seconds then cool with cold water,I slide mine onto wooden sticks but be careful the spinach is very tender and will break, see picture

Attachments

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What veggies do you recommend feeding them? I will check out some commercial food and pick some out.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Zucchini cut in half length ways take out the seeds, boil in chunks of about 2inches long for 7 minutes, let cool and drop in tank for 2hrs or so. Broccoli stem cooked, again don't leave in tank longer than 2hrs

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have been leaving small, about one inch by a half inch, pieces of kale in the tank. Should i take those out after two hours as well? They've been tearing them apart over the course of a day or so. I've been removing it when it is in shambles.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If they are constantly on the food like mine in the picture above then leave it but once interest as gone remove it,

PonzLL

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I grow mulberry trees in my yard but don't know if they're the right kind of leaf to feed them. Does any type of mulberry work? Seems like a nice, free alternative to spinach

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have been leaving small, about one inch by a half inch, pieces of kale in the tank. Should i take those out after two hours as well? They've been tearing them apart over the course of a day or so. I've been removing it when it is in shambles.
I leave vegetables in until they're gone. I don't take them out unless they've been sitting for 3 days or more. I do have rabbit snails and amano shrimp in the same tank as them that help with eating though.

HairyCatFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My 3 new Japanese algae eating shrimp love algae chips (the ones I bought for my clown pleco and that he completely ignores, lol) I break them into tiny pieces and drop a small piece in once in a while. It's fun to watch them eat it. Also fun to watch them stand on my marimo moss balls and pick on that.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My Cherries and Blue Velvets are getting crumbled TetraMin flakes and pieces of Tetra Pleco wafer and Omega One shrimp pellets. They are rapidly learning what is food and where to find it. the tank is new so there is no algae and probably very little biofilm. There are no babies yet but I ordered a product called Bacter AE that is supposed to be the best food for shrimp. They can not only eat the granules but the product stimulates the development of biofilm that shrimplets need to feed on.

Tsin21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I feed mine some TetraBits granules and an algae wafer daily. I feed them daily since the snails finish off all the remaining food. And they are always foraging on the moss and roots of the floating plants.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thank you everyone for all the recommendations! I haven’t decided yet what I will get.

Does anyone know any foods that are high in calcium? I am currently working on boosting my gh, as I keep cherries and it was quite low. I can’t remember off the top of my head but it was in the two or three range.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
thank you everyone for all the recommendations! I haven’t decided yet what I will get.

Does anyone know any foods that are high in calcium? I am currently working on boosting my gh, as I keep cherries and it was quite low. I can’t remember off the top of my head but it was in the two or three range.
Tetra Pleco Wafers have added calcium and so do TetraMin Tropical Flakes. I like the flakes because they have a good mix of meat and vegetable protein. Both foods contain algae meal and the Pleco wafers even have zucchini in them which is high in calcium. Neither one contains any form of copper which is very important to avoid.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
H
Tetra Pleco Wafers have added calcium and so do TetraMin Tropical Flakes. I like the flakes because they have a good mix of meat and vegetable protein. Both foods contain algae meal and the Pleco wafers even have zucchini in them which is high in calcium. Neither one contains any form of copper which is very important to avoid.
How do you feed them the flakes? Excuse me if that’s a silly question. Do they eat them off the surface or do you need to sink them? My tank is covered heavily in floating red rooters and (unfortunately) duckweed. They are always foraging among the plants but i’m not sure how easily they would find flakes among them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom