What Food Do I Feed My Crayfish?

jlscientist
HI everyone,
I got an electric blue crayfish and what do I feed it. Like, what kind of brand, tetra sinking wafers, or hikarI shrimp cuisine. And should I also feed vegetables. It is also a young crayfish, only ~2 inches.
(the crayfish ate my rosy red minnow that cycled the tank)
Thanks.

EbiAqua
The bigger question is, what won't they eat?

Algae wafers
Any fish food
Fresh fruit and veggies
Raw fish

jlscientist
The bigger question is, what won't they eat?

Algae wafers
Any fish food
Fresh fruit and veggies
Raw fish
I heard that the algae wafers didn't give them all the nutrients they needed. And for fish food, it needs to be sinking but all I can find are tiny 1mm which will get lost in the gravel. Do you have any recommendations.

EbiAqua
I heard that the algae wafers didn't give them all the nutrients they needed. And for fish food, it needs to be sinking but all I can find are tiny 1mm which will get lost in the gravel. Do you have any recommendations.

Look into larger bottom feeder pellets. Higher quality algae wafers will have fish and shrimp along with vegetable matter for increased nutritional value.

goldface
If a specific commercial food targeted for crayfish makes you feel more comfortable, you could try HikarI Crab Cuisine. My shrimp and crayfish love it. I also feed unsalted canned green beans straight outnof the can uncooked.

jlscientist
The Crab Cuisine looks nice. Thanks Fahn and scarface.

jlscientist
Alright, I got the crab cuisine, cray fish loves it and its great except it is quite small so it goes between the gravel. So I have to put my hand in the water and place it on a rock. Other than that, it is great.

goldface
Yeah, I use sand, so I never saw that possibility with gravel. You could also use a feeding dish, which are pretty popular for feeding shrimp and other invertebrates.

jlscientist
what can I use as a feeding dish, I'm assuming something plastic but won't it slowly degrade in the water and leach harmful chemicals.

goldface
You could search something on Amazon to give you an idea, or simply just buy one you like. Search for shrimp feeding dish or something along those lines.

AquaBaby
what can I use as a feeding dish, I'm assuming something plastic but won't it slowly degrade in the water and leach harmful chemicals.

When I had my crays I used a glass bowl. I now use it for my bn... Here's a pic of her in it waiting for some food:

Screenshot_20180812-111831.jpg

jlscientist
Ok Thanks.

jlscientist
When I had my crays I used a glass bowl. I now use it for my bn... Here's a pic of her in it waiting for some food:
View attachment 468355
oh, nice idea with the glass. I'm gonna try that.

AquaBaby
oh, nice idea with the glass. I'm gonna try that.

Notice I put some of my gravel in it. 2 reasons...

1 the bottom is curved and this raises the "bottom" up and sorta levels it out

2 the food slides around easily on the bare glass

So, when I clean my tank, at least the gunk that falls through the gravel is contained.

But, maybe you can use a finer substrate just in the bowl... never tried that, but might be an option!

An issue I had with the crays is they'd grab the food and run off with it, which pretty much defeated the purpose. So, I watched where they preferred to eat and put their dishes there. They still didn't stay in the bowls 100% of the time, but more often than not they would.

ALSO
To feed my bn, I use Toms Aquarium Aquatic Gardener. It's great for not so tiny food - I am not sure it would hold something like a micropellet - but it can easily hold food about 1/4 of the size of a green pea. I wish I had it when I had the crays! It's quite convenient. Mine's the large size, about 27 inches.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Hexfish66
Replies
Views
The Crayfish King
Replies
Views
CowBoYReX
Replies
Views