What floating plants???

FlameGourami

Hey ive got a 26 gallon community aquarium and its quite heavily planted (anubias and java fern) but I think I need some floating plants as to help woth its appeaeance as well as to help my powder blue gourami have somewhere to hangout away from my bully of a kribensis.
What floating plants do u recommend for beginners?
And also flating plants that won't get stuck in a filter like my last ones

FlameGourami

Water lettuce or red root floaters.
Do u know what sites I could get them from?

ProudPapa

Do u know what sites I could get them from?

Some members here occasionally have some for sale. When you have more posts (I don't remember the number required) you'll be able to access the "Buy, Sell, Trade" section of this forum. I've seen red root floaters for sale at a local fish store. Other than that a simple Google search will turn up some commercial sources.

FlameGourami

Some members here occasionally have some for sale. When you have more posts (I don't remember the number required) you'll be able to access the "Buy, Sell, Trade" section of this forum. I've seen red root floaters for sale at a local fish store. Other than that a simple Google search will turn up some commercial sources.
Ok awesome thank you

Hi
I have two gouramis (one powder blue and one honey gourami), six cherry barbs and one kribensis.
I heard gouramis and cherry barbs reslly do like and appreciate planted tanks and so ive added two medium sized java ferns and a few anubias however I feel the tank still may need some more plants and so id like to know what plants u recommend most for these fish?

Rye3434

Also Salvinia and Frogbit are worth checking out, Salvinia tends to have shorter roots if you prefer that.

FlameGourami

Also Salvinia and Frogbit are worth checking out, Salvinia tends to have shorter roots if you prefer that.
I got salvinia however it just gets stuck in my filter

Coradee

Hi, the gouramis would appreciate some floating plants or some tall fine leaved plants.
I have some rather unruly elodea that’s grown so long it rests on the surface & my honeys love to just hang out under it

RyanC14

I would also recommend vallisneria and java moss, they both provide a lot of cover.

FlameGourami

I would also recommend vallisneria and java moss, they both provide a lot of cover.
Yeah I got some java moss recently. Would u say those other two plants u recommended are beginner friendly?

RyanC14

Yeah I got some java moss recently. Would u say those other two plants u recommended are beginner friendly?
In my personal experience, they have been very easy to grow.

FlameGourami

In my personal experience, they have been very easy to grow.
Aw ok thank you very much for your help. Ill look out for them when I go to my local fish store

RyanC14

Aw ok thank you very much for your help. Ill look out for them when I go to my local fish store
I should mention that vallisneria (or val) benefits from root tabs btw

FlameGourami

I should mention that vallisneria (or val) benefits from root tabs btw
Okay ill make sure and get them

KJB42

I as well am thinking of adding val. How fast would it grow and would it fill in in a 10 gallon?

RyanC14

I as well am thinking of adding val. How fast would it grow and would it fill in in a 10 gallon?
Depending on the lighting and ferts added they could grow very quickly. Mine completely took over my 20 long in a few months, I have to trim it weekly now lol.

Rev

I have jungle val in a 10 gallon right now. eco complete with root tabs and medium to high lighting. Growing like a weed, only been in for a month and a half. It's getting close to the surface.

FlameGourami

Depending on the lighting and ferts added they could grow very quickly. Mine completely took over my 20 long in a few months, I have to trim it weekly now lol.
Would it need specific plant flooring in the tank?

KJB42

oh ok I have a bright light (nicrew) and dose excel. I have heard it takes a while to propogate undecertain conditions. I think it would look good behind the green hedge.

I have jungle val in a 10 gallon right now. eco complete with root tabs and medium to high lighting. Growing like a weed, only been in for a month and a half. It's getting close to the surface.
When first setting up my tank I made the mistake of not buying a nutrient substrate. I have root tabs high lighting and flourish excel. Would that work?

Attachments

• IMG_5574.jpg
    IMG_5574.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 44

Rev

If you've got the root tabs you're good to go yup! It gets its nutrients from the roots in the substrate mostly so you're good to go.

FlameGourami

If you've got the root tabs you're good to go yup! It gets its nutrients from the roots in the substrate mostly so you're good to go.
Awesome thank you

RyanC14

Would it need specific plant flooring in the tank?
Not necessarily, I keep mine in sand, gravel and eco complete and they all grow well. It seems to grow more readily in sand and eco complete though.

FlameGourami

Not necessarily I keep mine in sand, gravel and eco complete and they all grow well. It seems to grow more readily in sand and eco complete though.
okay ill give the plant a shot. Thanks

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SamMe
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
Fishnturtleguy933
Replies