What Fish Would You Recommend?

Charlieknows

Reaction score
Hi all! New to the forum although have been lurking the last few weeks as I've started to set up my first tank .
Just after some advice on first fish selection, won't be doing any purchasing for a while as have only in the last few days started a fishless cycle. My set up is a Juwel Primo 60, came with the light and bioflow filter. I've got a sand substrate (how fun is that to clean) and I've cured driftwood and rocks found at my local river with a few (so I've been told) hardier plants.
Now that it's all set up I've got the long waiting game before I can add my first few mates. I'm set on a few Kuhli Loaches but understand the need an established tank so will be the last additions. Other wants are my partner's golden catfish and a dwarf gourami. Would love to hear people thoughts on who to add first, anything to leave out and maximum mates to have.
Photo of my tank for reference

Attachments

Kolby Holdren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What size is the tank? Personally I never suggest dwarf gouramis. I have had many. All but one have died after a few months. Dwarf gouramis are very inbred and some ridiculous percentage won't survive past like a year. There are some other great gouramis to choose from tho. So maybe check out some of those.
Also you can speed up your cycling process very easily with some additional bacteria supplements. I prefer seachem stability but there are more to choose from.
Also holy **** what a beautiful tank for your first one. Good job.

Charlieknows

Reaction score
That's interesting, and also a little sad. The poor buggers. If not gourami is there anything else you'd suggest? Obviously has to be relatively small but would like a tank "star" so to speak.

Thank you! Been weeks of researching and having flatmates laugh at me for boiling wood, but am proud of the result

Oops sorry it's only a 60l so not got a lot of space to play

Kolby Holdren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Charlieknows said:
That's interesting, and also a little sad. The poor buggers. If not gourami is there anything else you'd suggest? Obviously has to be relatively small but would like a tank "star" so to speak.

Thank you! Been weeks of researching and having flatmates laugh at me for boiling wood, but am proud of the result
What size is the tank?

Much smaller than it looked.by golden catfish you don't mean an eclipse catfish do you?

emerald6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you can find one, get a thicklip gourami. They look very similar to dwarfs with less of the problems of bad breeding and the dreaded DGD (Dwarf Gourami Disease).

imba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You can fit a pair of honey gourami in a 60 litre...they are peaceful community fish.

Not sure what a golden catfish is, but they sound huge. Lol

How about
2 honey gourami, 1 male 1 female
9 kuhli loaches
10 espei rasboras
2 nerite snails

Charlieknows

Reaction score
How cute are espei rasbora?! Really like that suggestion thanks imba
Yeah, I was way off. Not golden catfish by anymeanda haha. Yellow black eyed pleco! Have a few smaller ones at my local. Also seen a few chili rasbora (adorable!) But may be too small?

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If what I found when searching it up is correct then it gets about roughly the same size a BristleNose Catfish/Pleco at about 4 inches in which case you could probably only have one as the sole "bottom dweller" of your tank.

I do like the following ideas:

2 Honey Gourami
8-10 Espei Rasbora
2 Nerite Snail

1 Thick-Lipped Gourami OR Paradise Fish
8-10 Espei Rasbora
2 Nerite Snail

8 Chili Rasbora
8 Pygmy Corydoras
2 Nerite Snail

1 Thick-Lipped Gourami
1 Yellow Black-Eyed Pleco
2 Nerite Snail

Alternatively, Ember Tetras are really pretty and fun to watch in place of any of the above-mentioned rasboras.

Cobra

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’ve had a lot of success with Cory’s, hardy fish active, stay small, and are very peaceful, I’ve even had them successfully breed without me intervening. They like to be kept in groups and your substrate would work perfect for them

WadeEH

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are great fish, but a 60 liter tank is not large enough for the Yellow Pleco. They have a maximum size of six inches ( usually about four inches in the aquarium), and have a high bio load. They require a minimum of a 29 gallon (about 110 liters)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom