What fish would fit? 5 Gallon Tank 

DarkRider7th

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi there everbody, I need alittle help figuring out what would fit in a 5 gallon tank?

I just got the tank today from a friend & haven't even started its cycling so it will be awhile before I get anything but I have no idea what fish would be good to get for it when its done.. Suggestions?

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
how about a betta? they're very much like dogs in their personalities, and love their owners.

or a few male guppies? they're fun to watch and add color and activity to any tank, and are ok with just about any water conditions.

DarkRider7th

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Guppys are a possiblity, no betta though, I had one when I was younger & don't really want another.

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Outside of a betta or a male guppy I can't think of much, I turned my 5.5 into an algae farm, cause I felt bad keeping anything in there for a long period of time.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't think guppies should go in a 5. How about a dwarf puffer, or two sparking gouramis instead?

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
some glofish under a black light and an algae farm sounds cool

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
izzyfishfarmer said:
some glofish under a black light and an algae farm sounds cool
In a 5? I wouldn't put danios in anything less than a 20... they are SO hyper. Very fast swimmers.

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Meenu said:
In a 5? I wouldn't put danios in anything less than a 20... they are SO hyper. Very fast swimmers.
Agreed, based on personal experience. Danios get restless very easily and they need room to spread out so they have some time between fights for dominance.

I would suggest a betta, but if you want to do that you should probably leave the top open.

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You could always use you 5 gallon as a Q-tank, noticed you have a 10 gallon in your info. you into Inverts or snails instead for the 5 gallon?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
There is a very wide range of opinions on what can go into a 5 gallon. Most people here will say nothing but a betta but I have seen suggestions like Meenu's of dwarf puffers, sparkling gouramis or shelldwellers. However, if you go to other forums you'll find people saying a 1 gallon is fine for a betta. Here's a link I found that gives suggestions for nano fish based on tank size. I neither condone nor advocate any of these stocking ideas and it's up to the individual fish keeper to research and decide.

With that said, my 5 gallon is going to be a shrimp tank. I've got yellow shrimp and red nose shrimp on the way. They are awsome little critters and worth a look.

-Lisa

DarkRider7th

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you everybody for your suggestions, I might just go with shrimp or maybe the dwarf puffer if I can find it in any of my LFS.

Does anybody else have other suggestions?

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hmmm... I can't think of anything besides a betta, dwarf puffer, 2 sparkling gouramis, and 2 shell dwellers. Dwarf Puffers are so cute! But they do need to be fed snails as they don't eat flakes. Sparkling gouramis are a great choice if you decide on them, they are so pretty and very fun to watch.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Here is a cut and paste of Elodea's suggestions for a 5 gallon. I think the crayfish may not work... but at least it is something to work off.
Sorry, Elodea, that I am quoting you from another thread without your permission.

Elodea said:
Actually, I would politely disagree.

1. 1x male dario dario, 4x female dario dario*

2. 50x RCS (red cherry shrimp)

3. 1x ADF (African dwarf frog)

4. 30x tiger shrimp

5. 1x vampire shrimp

6. 1x crayfish*

7. 1x male sparkling gourami, 2x female sparkling gourami

8. 10x any type of nerite snail

9. 5x mystery snails

10. 1x large apple snail

11. 5x galaxy microrasboras aka pearl danios

12. 3x galaxy microrasboras aka pearl danios, 1x hara hara*

13. 30x ghost/glass shrimp

14. 1x dwarf puffer

15. 1x paradise fish*

16. 5x freshwater clams*

17. 2x shell dweller cichlids*

18. 10x Amano shrimp

19. Grow-out tank for fish fry

20. And of course: THE BETTA!

*I'm not sure if these will work or not, can someone tell me?

DarkRider7th

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you very much for that list it will really help me.

The only thing about the puffer is that I can't feed it flakes & i would prefer feeding all my fish the same things.. I'll have to think about that.

The sparkling gouramis are starting to catch my interest so I might look into those some more.

Also one question, If I got a Betta (Male or Female) that would be the only thing I could have in the tank right? I couldn't add another fish?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I will only recommend any betta by itself.

Well, you could have shrimp, but eventually the betta would eat them, so you'd need hiding spaces.

DarkRider7th

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok just making sure.

Aquarium

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Meenu said:
I don't think guppies should go in a 5. How about a dwarf puffer, or two sparking gouramis instead?

Do NOT Put a dwarf puffer in a 5 gallon. To small and under no circumstance a beginner fish.

The gouramis would probably work though.

To the starter of this thread. I really reccomend you get another fish these guys have suggested. the dwarf puffer is an incredibly active and messy fish and a 5 gallon would not give them enough room to explore and would be required 2 25% water changes a week for them. these guys should have 10-15 gallons a piece. Just tossing my .02 in.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to Fishlore, Aquarium. The OP is leaning against getting a DP anyway, because of the food requirements. But there are people here who successfully keep DPs in a 5 gallon (not me, I've never had one, personally).

DarkRider7th

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah I don't think i'm getting a puffer now. I most likly will get a couple of gouramis if I can find them.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Aquarium, welcome to FishLore
I don't keep DP's either but have researched them. Most everything I've read says 5 gallon's is enough for one with frequent water changes. Either way, not a good beginner fish.
Perhaps you're thinking about Green Spotted puffers?

Sparkling Gouarmis are great little fish. If you get more than 2 in a 5 gallon and they pair up, there might be aggression. I had to move some fish that were getting nipped.
;D I just picked up 4 more myself.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom