What Fish Would Fit With My Tank?

corrinfish

Hello! I am planning a future 55 gallon thank that would contain two leopard bush fish and one rainbow shark that I already have. I am planning on adding an African butterfly fish as well. I'll be keeping the tank at 76 degrees and the ph probably 7 but can be adjusted based on fish. I'm looking to add one more fish, but I can seem to figure out what fish. It needs to be big enough that once my leopard bush fish get to their grown size it won't become a snack, but it can't be a very mean fish. I don't want something that's going to bully the bush fish and have them in hiding all the time, or nip at the butterfly fish's fins. My tank will be heavily planted, with plants such as amazon sword, ludwigia, anubius, baby tears, and other grasses and such, So I also need a fish that won't go munching or uprooting my plants. Any ideas on something cool that would fit in my tank? I have a few lfs I can go to and I know one of the stores will custom order fish for you so I can always order something if it's an oddball fish.

Seth15

If you want to add another fish maybe look into a adding a synodontis catfish. Their are many to choose from and they are peaceful and most are too large and will not become a snack.

If looking into a more oddball fish maybe you could try a smaller bichir species such as Senegal, palmas, or delhezi. Depending on the exact species you may need to upgrade to a larger tank in the future however.

Anders247

Why only one?
You can add a school of 8 giant danios or australian rainbows, imo.

You could also do a rainbow cichlid in there, imo.

corrinfish

If you want to add another fish maybe look into a adding a synodontis catfish. Their are many to choose from and they are peaceful and most are too large and will not become a snack.

If looking into a more oddball fish maybe you could try a smaller bichir species such as Senegal, palmas, or delhezi. Depending on the exact species you may need to upgrade to a larger tank in the future however.

Wouldn't adding another catfish be a bad idea in regards to the rainbow shark? I thought they didn't like any type of shark/catfish. I like the bichir idea though, those guys are pretty cool I'm gonna do some more research on them.

Why only one?
You can add a school of 8 giant danios or australian rainbows, imo.

You could also do a rainbow cichlid in there, imo.

Hmmmm rainbow cichlid sounds pretty cool. I like the idea of a school but you don't think the danios or rainbows would be too fast and swimmy of a fish for the leopard bush fish?

Anders247

No, they should be fine with the bush fish, imo.

Seth15

Wouldn't adding another catfish be a bad idea in regards to the rainbow shark? I thought they didn't like any type of shark/catfish. I like the bichir idea though, those guys are pretty cool I'm gonna do some more research on them.

I have personally kept a full grown rainbow shark with synodontis catfish before in the past successfully. Synodontis are peaceful but can hold their ground with very aggressive species such as african cichlids.

And as far as a school with the Bush fish, I am currently housing very active congo tetras with my Bush fish and their are no problems.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MommaWilde
  • Question
Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Poll