What Fish Would Do Better In This 35 Gallon?

Discussion in 'Pond Fish' started by keeperofmanyponds, Dec 29, 2017.

1. keeperofmanyponds

keeperofmanypondsValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    1 year
    I have 3 ponds, 2 are 20 gallons and the guppies are thriving with fry along with bristlenose plecos, however the 35 gallon has only adult guppies and platies with no fry, they have been in this pond for 6 months and are not birthing fry, the pond's surface is coated with mosquito fern and I assume that it is the reason why the fish aren't thriving (lack of oxygen diffusion?) The pond is circulated with several pumps and cleaned monthly. However the 3 bristle-nose plecos are doing very well. The shrimp are also thriving. I want to keep the mosquito fern as is because I love the look.

I tried to put one sword-tail in this pond but he died. :'(

The 35 gallon is very densely planted. I have about 20 species of plants in this pond.

I live in Daytona FL zone 9B and few nights a year dip below freezing, the pond is heated with one heater to 76 degrees. I have spare heaters.

I considered bettas, but not sure, I want to put a varicolored fish species in this pond, not a mono colored one. I don't want goldfish because they eat a lot, I also already have a healthy beautiful goldfish pond in my porch.

I know bettas need it warm so I am not sure how will they would work out. I heard that they can get along in groups if their environment is large enough and it's densely planted. I considered 1 male and 1 female betta in the pond, and purchasing them as babies.

2. Accents

AccentsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +186
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hello! Is it a pond or aquarium/tank? A 35 gallon pond sounds very small. I'm not sure about the other fish, but do NOT put those bettas in. Males and females don't get along, and if the temp dips below freezing that's taking a huge risk. If it's only 35 gallons, that's definitely not big enough for a male and female. It's only females that can live together in a sorority, but even that can be very risky and had resulted in dead fish more than once. If you really want betta fish, I'd get a 2.5 gallon+ tank and house just one, or try a community in a 20 gal+ tank. It's really much easier to just keep one. I know you said you don't want goldfish (and they don't make too much sense in a heavily planted place) but they are most suited to ponds out of all these fish.

3. OP
    OP
    keeperofmanyponds

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thank you for this advice, I would say this advice is golden, I keep all my betta fish in my sunroom and they seem to love it there. They are extremely healthy. My water hyacinth had grown so much and spread across the pond, that I think it smothered the fish in there, I only had 5 out of the 20 fish die in there. I never knew that this would happen, since I cut back the hyacinth, my sick looking fish improved. It flusters me because I love hyacinth and I need to find an alternate solution to the hyacinth.

4. Accents

Ratings:
    +186
    Experience:
    1 year
    Just try to keep it under control. Maybe cut it back so it only covers 1/4 of the space? That way you can see it but it's not going to smoother the fish.

5. OP
    OP
    keeperofmanyponds

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    1 year
    I am also thinking of installing a 5 gallon water fall in my pond and moving the hyacinth into that perhaps and creating a better flow to the pond. It is not as prolific as my 20 gallons and it drives me up the wall. I add fry from the other ponds and they don't grow as fast. All the water in all ponds are the same perimeters.

6. Accents

Ratings:
    +186
    Experience:
    1 year
    That may be better, but try not to add any fish that don't like current. The water fall will create a lot of that, so maybe just for scenery?

7. OP
    OP
    keeperofmanyponds

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    1 year
    Guppies need current I think because they like streams. Perhaps adding a waterfall feature will help them.

8. Accents

Ratings:
    +186
    Experience:
    1 year
    If it's very well heated, they it shouldn't be an issue, but make sure they're compatible with any fish in there already.

9. OP
    OP
    keeperofmanyponds

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    1 year
    Seems like bettas are hardy as is, I think 2 33 gallon aquarium heaters would be good, but some people say a male and female betta would be fine in a 35 gallon pond and others say no. I see videos on youtube that have them living in 5 gallon tubs and they are able to complete their life cycle naturally. I would introduce the male and female as babies.

10. Accents

Ratings:
    +186
    Experience:
    1 year
    I really wouldn't suggest bettas. They can do fine in 5 gallons, but they're isolated to prevent fighting, which males and females will do. At least, betta splendens will, but a wild-type may work. If you try wild bettas and research them carefully, and put them in a heavily planted, heated, filtered pond, it could work, but if you put the domesticated fighting fish in they will probably end up seriously injuring or killing each other. Additionally, I'd recommend a stronger heater since it gets so cold at times. Would you be putting the waterfall in the 35 gal?

11. OP
    OP
    keeperofmanyponds

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    1 year
    I am considering a waterfall in there if I decide to revive the guppies and platies, they need circulation.

12. Accents

Ratings:
    +186
    Experience:
    1 year
    Although I do NOT recommend the bettas, if you put them in do not install the waterfall. The strong current will stress them out a lot. The guppies and platies may be okay in there though. Try not to overstock the tank.