What fish would do best in my 7.2-7.6 ph?

BlueRaccoon

My ph fluctuates between 7.2-7.6. I was intentionally interested in tetras and harlequin rasboras; however, it seems like most of those come from acidic waters. I haven't seen any that don't from from acidic water. So what fish come from a ph above 7? I really don't want to start messing with my parameters. I'm new to fish keeping, so I'm trying to keep it easy. Also, I do not want livebearers. No babies, lol. My tank:

55g
ph: 7.2-7.6
gh: 6-8
kh: 2-5

ProudPapa

Many of the commercially raised tropical fish are raised in pH as high as yours or higher. Serpae tetras, pristella tetras, black neon tetras, lemon tetras, Corydoras trilineatus (commonly sold as juli corys, but really aren't), Lake Kutubu (turquoise) rainbowfish, pearl gouramis, and guppies have all done very well in my 8.2 pH water.

If you want fish that are native to higher pH then I believe African cichlids, rainbowfish, and livebearers will work. There are probably others, but those are all I can think of off the top of my head.

RayClem

pH is only one consideration. The other is water hardness.

Although there are some wild caught fish in the aquarium trade, most will be tank raised, likely in water with a pH slightly above neutral. If your water is super hard, you might have an issue with tetras, but you should be OK if you water is not too hard.

BlueRaccoon

Many of the commercially raised tropical fish are raised in pH as high as yours or higher. Serpae tetras, pristella tetras, black neon tetras, lemon tetras, Corydoras trilineatus (commonly sold as juli corys, but really aren't), Lake Kutubu (turquoise) rainbowfish, pearl gouramis, and guppies have all done very well in my 8.2 pH water.

If you want fish that are native to higher pH then I believe African cichlids, rainbowfish, and livebearers will work. There are probably others, but those are all I can think of off the top of my head.
Hi. Thank you! I really appreciate it. Do the fish you have that normally come from acidic waters live to the top of their lifespan usually?
pH is only one consideration. The other is water hardness.

Although there are some wild caught fish in the aquarium trade, most will be tank raised, likely in water with a pH slightly above neutral. If your water is super hard, you might have an issue with tetras, but you should be OK if you water is not too hard.
Thank you! My water isn't very hard. gh 6-8 and kh- 2-5. Ok, I've just been confused because I have heard two arguments. One being that you should only put fish in conditions like their natural habitat or it will cause long term help problems, and the other being that fosh adjust and most fish in the trade aren't raised in their natural conditions

ProudPapa

Hi. Thank you! I really appreciate it. Do the fish you have that normally come from acidic waters live to the top of their lifespan usually?

I don't know yet. Some of those I mentioned above were among the first fish I got, and I started keeping fish in the fall of 2019.

BlueRaccoon

I don't know yet. Some of those I mentioned above were among the first fish I got, and I started keeping fish in the fall of 2009.
You've had some of those fish from 2009?!

ProudPapa

You've had some of those fish from 2009?!

No, 2019. Sorry about that. I'll fix it.

RayClem

A GH of 6-8, a KH of 2-5 and a ph of 7.2 - 7.6 is ideal for a community aquarium containing most tetras, barbs, cory catfish, bettas, gourami, some cichlids, and most livebearers. I have terrible tap water and use RO water as my source water. I add minerals to target a GH of 7 and a pH of 7.5, so my tank water is similar to yours.

While that water is not acidic enough f to breed some tetras, or alkaline enough for African Rift Lake Cichlids, it should work quite well for most of the fish commonly available in the hobby.

BlueRaccoon

No, 2019. Sorry about that. I'll fix it.
Oh, no problem! lol.
A GH of 6-8, a KH of 2-5 and a ph of 7.2 - 7.6 is ideal for a community aquarium containing most tetras, barbs, cory catfish, bettas, gourami, some cichlids, and most livebearers. I have terrible tap water and use RO water as my source water. I add minerals to target a GH of 7 and a pH of 7.5, so my tank water is similar to yours.

While that water is not acidic enough f to breed some tetras, or alkaline enough for African Rift Lake Cichlids, it should work quite well for most of the fish commonly available in the hobby.
Thank you! Good to know!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Jamie PacNW
  • pH
Replies
Views
Jamie PacNW
  • Peaches1710
  • pH
Replies
Views
Suniv2