What fish with your shrimp?

birdermom

Just wanted input on possible tank mates with cherry shrimp/neos?

Nikita

Smaller nano fish are great tank-mates with shrimp (mouths are usually too small to even try to eat shrimp). I've had success with Celestial Pearl Danios, Sparkling Gouramis, and Scarlet Badis as tank-mates for RCS and CRS. I've also had success with bigger fish such as Neon Tetra, Pristella Tetra, and a few bettas, too. The bettas were a risky choice, but they had no interest in my RCS at all.

birdermom

Anybody have pygmy cories?

Nikita

Pygmy Cories are also another option.

Viriam Karo

Cories in general won't bother adult shrimp; the babies might get into their mouth path though and cories will eat them if they're there. I don't think cories will actively hunt down shrimplets, though... especially if the shrimplets decide to hide in the higher ranges of the tank.

I DO have a very docile betta that is doing fine with adult shrimp. He ignores them completely.

Dolfan

The only 100% shrimp safe fish is otocinclus. They have been confirmed to never eat or mess with shrimp. Many like myself have success with other smaller fish like neon tetras. Pygmy cories will do ok probably too. I have a small bristlelnose pleco that doesn't seem to mind them either. Bettas are 50/50 from what I have read. Some don't even know what a shrimp is, and others turn in to shrimp hunters after they get their first taste of one.

The other important question to ask, is if you want to breed your shrimp or not. If not, then a lot of the smaller fish will do fine as they won't mess with adult shrimp but may eat babies up like popcorn. If you do want to breed, I would stick with otocinclus or shrimp only tanks. You can have some fish and still successfully breed some, if you have lots of plant and décor hiding places for the shrimp babies. Java moss and other fine leaved plants are very helpful, such as hornwort, riccia, subwassertang, any mosses really. I also use some cholla wood which seems to help. It is dried out wood from a certain cactus that has lots of holes in it. It creates a tube for the shrimp to hide and forage in, also provides a minI cave for protection when the shrimp have molted.

Priya

I had a rock shrimp with my guppies, platies, green cories and a couple of Dwarf Gouramis (keeping 2 gouramis were a risk, but they amazingly got along great. Not just with each other but with everyone else). The shrimp pretty much lived on the filter and the heater. Everyone was fine with each other. I miss my community so much :'(

Nn4ever

What about guppies?

Puddles

Guppies will for sure eat babies and will probably harass adults.

LyndaB

I keep corys, otos and assassin snails in with my RCS. I tried keeping endlers in there, but they slurped the RCS up like spaghetti. No more fish after that. It took me a long time to get my RCS population back.

crazybusrides

I bought a few Emerald Rasboras and put them in my 10 G with RCS and they have done great. They have been in there for a couple months now and the RCS are multiplying like normal. I do have about 1/3 of the tank overgrown with Java Moss which probably helps the smaller RCS hideout, but I've never even seen the rasboras going after the RCS in the open.

MJDuti

if you have lots of plant and décor hiding places for the shrimp babies. Java moss and other fine leaved plants are very helpful, such as hornwort, riccia, subwassertang, any mosses really. I also use some cholla wood which seems to help. It is dried out wood from a certain cactus that has lots of holes in it. It creates a tube for the shrimp to hide and forage in, also provides a minI cave for protection when the shrimp have molted.

^ With this you have better chances with "larger" fish. I personally have kept mine with numerous small fish (nothing larger than a couple inches). I always find it humerous that I now have RCS with my dwarf puffers. I would not recommend this though. They were supposed to be food, it never happened, now they eat side by side. However, if they are by themselves they will show you their best behavior and swim around the tank and breed freely.

what size tank btw?

freak007

I have had good luck with Threadfin Rainbows and pencilfish. The threadfins especially have a very small throat and would have a hard time eating anything but the smallest of shrimp. They actually have a hard time eating adult brine shrimp and cannot eat a whole blood worm.

Teishokue

I keep corys, otos and assassin snails in with my RCS. I tried keeping endlers in there, but they slurped the RCS up like spaghetti. No more fish after that. It took me a long time to get my RCS population back.

Ive watched assassins slurp up rcs at work. When I saw it, I thought the cherry was just molting, I was like "OMG cherry finally molting in front of me!!" and realized that 2 assassins were slurping the doomed cherry down.

JRC3

In my 75 gallon with cherry barbs, neons, cardinal tetras, harlequins, panda garas, rummy nose, silver hatchets, emerald/skunk/panda cories...and the rcs still breed like crazy.

In fact, I have a ton of big shrimp in there I'm thinking of taking to a lfs that gives 1/3 credit for...and they charge $5 ea for rcs. I'll take 50 if they want that many. That's like $80 in credit. Lol

From time to time I scoop out the lightest less colorful rcs from that tank for my puffers to hunt. I actually see them from time to time weeks after that in the puff tanks.

esteroali

I have kept Otos, pygmy Cory's. rasboras, andCPD's.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
Replies
Views
Nize69
  • Question
Replies
Views