10 Gallon Tank What fish will fit with 6 to 7 neon tetras in an 11 gallon tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeRose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I haven't purchased the tetras yet but I am almost completely set upon getting them. I have done research and came up with either three otocinclus catfish OR a school of pygmy corydoras, but I am unsure as to whether even these fish will fit comfortably. My tank is about 11 gallons.
I am planning on doing weekly water changes; more often if needed. This is because they come from the rivers of south america which have much current, obviously. I have a large DIY canister filter though and my tank has gone through the nitrogen cycle(via pure ammonia).
What fish could I add after the tetras, if any?
I welcome all ideas.
Thanks,
LeeRose.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi LeeRose, Welcome to Fishlore! I'd say that with good filtration and regular water changes that you'd have no problems with a school of Neons and some Otos or Pygmy Corys. All these fish have a very small bioload, so it should be fine.

LeeRose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the fast answer Nick Goody. I have just one more question.
How many of either otocinclus cats or pygmy cories? I was thinking six cories because they, too, are schooling fish and that is the minimum. Perhaps three otos. What do you all think?

pupilove2

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
if it were me id get 10 neons and a snail hust because i like neons in bigger schools

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi LeeRose Welcome to FishLore!!
To be honest, I don't think I'd go for more than 6 or 7 neons in your size tank.
Otos do better in well established tanks. If you're going to get some, definitely wait a few months.
If you decide on cories, be sure they're pygmies. Regular sized cories don't belong in 10g, imo.

Good luck!

LeeRose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the warm welcome everybody!
I was thinking either six neons and six pygmy corydoras or seven neons and three otos to be on the safe side. However, I have learned that when the otos have eaten the algae in the tank(which there is much of) I will need to feed them zucchini and the like to keep them plump. How will I do this with an automatic feeder(for traveling.) It just wouldn't work in my opinion. Perhaps I should wait until I am more experienced and have a larger aquarium before I try to keep a school of otos alive for more than a month. I hear it is difficult.
What do you guys think?
Will they eat algae wafers? I have heard that they rarely do this and it depends on the fish.

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Otos will eat algae wafers,but as mentioned,the need a bigger,and well established tank.

10 gallons really limits your options as far as keeping a community. Neons are so small,and have such a small bio load,keeping a school of 12 or 15 in a 10 gallon would be fine,as long as that is all you keep. So if neons are what you want,that is what you should get,and leave it at that.

When you get a bigger tank,then you can start to think about different species of fish to keep in a community.

Last edited:

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My otos never touch wafers. I don't know if thats true for all otos.
I think waiting is a wise decision

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My otos never touch wafers. I don't know if thats true for all otos.
I think waiting is a wise decision
I have never had problems with otos eating wafers. That's good to know. I actually had never heard they wouldn't.

Otos are great little fish,and one of the best algae eaters out there. But waiting until you have a larger,established tank would be a good idea.

LeeRose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think I will go with six tetras to start as I can always get more ( until I am over stocking the tank of course.) If that works out I will then get six pygmy cories. Sounds brimming full to me but they do have a fairly small bioload and I have a large filter.
I'm excited and this is only my current plan no one disagrees. . .
I don't want to mess up but it will probably happen sometime anyway.
Thanks again,
LeeRose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom