What fish to stock my aquarium with?

1. THEGingerNinja

THEGingerNinja Valued Member Member

I have a 29 gallon long tank. It is not set up at the current moment. I am working on building a custom aquarium stand for the tank. But I am currently researching what to stock my tank with. I will be decorating the tank with a custom fake rock wall that will hide the filter intake. Black sand substrate, and a piece of driftwood with live plants. I have a cobalt slim heater that is rated for a 40 gallon tank, and a fluval g3 filter rated for an 80 gallon tank. What I was thinking of stocking the tank with would be as follows: 7 African dwarf frogs, 12 glofish (Danios and tetras) and the maybe a dwarf gourami and some ghost shrimp and maybe a snail or two. Is this going to work in my tank with this setup? Any help would be greatly appreciated. And I am very new to fish keeping. Had a goldfish like everyone else did when they were 3 or 4 yrs old... lol but I haven't had a fish since... thanks everyone in advance for your help.

I forgot to add my light system. I have an LED light kit that was purchased from lowes. There r approximately 40 led lights on an adhesive strip attached directly to the underside of the glass top to the aquarium. The lights go through 27 different colors from white to blue, orange, purple and etc at the push of a remote controller.

2. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. Please read the linked post Nitrogen Cycle first if you don't know about it . You also if you don't have one is to pick up an API Master test kit for freshwater. ,so you can keep track of your water parameters and a bottle of seachums prime water conditioner. Both of those tend to be cheaper on Amazon.com . The tank is kind of deep for African dwarf frogs. When you do get the glofish make sure you get 6 of the same kind, danios or tetras. They are both schooling fish and should be in a minimum of 6 of their own kind. :;hi1Alison

3. OP
    OP
    THEGingerNinja

Thanks aliray! I do have the api master test kit and the water conditioner. The water level will only be approximately 18" deep. From what I've researched on ADFs is that that is an exceptable depth for them. Plus there will be various platform levels for them to jump/swim to to make it easier for them to get to the top. I was more interested in knowing if this stocking idea was gonna be too much biolode for my tank setup. And thanks again for your help.

And also, will the dwarf gourami be ok by himself with these other schooling fish and frogs?

4. Airth

Airth Valued Member Member

I would avoid getting the danios. They prefer cooler water than what the other fish will need.

The DG should be fine by himself (girls are very uncommon in the trade unless special ordered). Only one though; multiple males in a tank that size could lead to aggression problems. I'd google 'iridovirus in DG' and read up on that as they're prone to that sickness.

Many will say that ADF should be in species only tanks but they do fairly well in a peaceful community tank.

6 glo skirt tetra minimum as Aliray said and maybe another small schooling fish like cherry barbs.
    Anders247 may be able to verify if your stocking is over or under for your tank size.

5. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are off to a good start since you are researching before purchasing. I don't have experience with ADF, so I can't chime in there. Good luck! Keep asking questions & please share photos.

6. OP
    OP
    THEGingerNinja

Thanks airth and mom2some.
    I was kinda hoping that with a much larger filter and a moderately to heavily planted tank would be able to handle a higher population of fish... I do understand about crowding issues. Fish do need their own space to move around. Any other help or suggestions r very welcome. As soon as I'm done building my aquarium stand, I will be moving onto the actual setup phase. Plants first and then cycling and then stocking. I will provide photos provided I can figure out how to do that...lol.

7. OP
    OP
    THEGingerNinja

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    What is your full stock?

9. OP
    OP
    THEGingerNinja

1 tank anders. Just getting started and am looking to create a peaceful-ish tropical freshwater aquarium. I feel like this is a good size starter aquarium with a fairly easy set up fish to care for. Was wanting to use the dwarf frogs and glofish first, and then at some time introduce a dwarf gourami and maybe a gold dojo loach... was resaerchingbthem at the moment.. but wanted a firmly established community tank with the frogs and glofish before I added a D.G. or a gold dojo loach.
    FYI: I just found this loach at an online retailer and thought he would work with a peaceful tank.

10. Airth

Dojo loaches can get fairly big and should be in a larger tank imo. They're also social fish that need to be kept in groups of at least 6.

11. T

Teishokue Well Known Member Member

Danio are fine. I Duno what species of Danio are cold water. Adf or frogs will eat fish. Fish and frogs don't work. You may see people with them but eventually goodbye. Drop the frogs and add Cory's or something

12. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Zebra danios will be fine in cooler water.

13. OP
    OP
    THEGingerNinja

Ok, just finished the build on my tank stand, and wanted to post a picture for yall. However, the image on my phones memory is enormously too big for what is allowed. The size is like 20000000x 18000000. Just a few million over the allowed 3300x3300...lol. how can I shrink this image down to post it so yall can see it? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

14. Airth

You can try this link. It worked for some files from my camera that were too big. Not as big as yours so I'm not sure how it'll fare. lol

http://www.picresize.com

15. OP
    OP
    THEGingerNinja

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. OP
    OP
    THEGingerNinja

UREKA!!!!
    thanks Airth!!!! so here are some pictures of the finished construction of my 29 gallon fish tank stand. i am currently in the process of staining and clear coating it now. i did make an adjustment to the back. instead of a few small holes in the back to run hoses and power cords, i made a larger sized rectangular hole. the stain is a powder blue semi transparent stain. the stain looks good soo far, but due to the extremely high humidity in GA, it is still drying....smh... hope yall like it. If anybody would like the plans and cut sheets for this stand, let me know. i will be more than happy to post them. they do not include the dimensions for the trim. just the structural "box".

Thanks again Airth!! you have been very helpful!!

17. OP
    OP
    THEGingerNinja

I will be sure to post the finished pictues as soon as i am able... and as soon as this Georgia humidity allows me too..lol

18. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

The dojo loach needs a 50 or 55 gal tank from what is usually they recommend on here so you might want to skip that one. Lucy keeps adf and knows a lot about them and has done a care sheet on them. Hopefully she will see this and come along to help. Good job an the stand. You might want to consider just the frogs and make it a species only tank if you want that many frogs, but wait for the ADF expert. Alison:;hi2

19. OP
    OP
    THEGingerNinja

thanks aliray!
    well, as far as stocking my tank... i am very far away from that i believe... i still have to finish staining and clear coating the stand. then i have to rebuild the fake rock wall i had built... ( i prematurely attached it to the inside of the aquarium with silicone and it was a horrible job. so i tried to remove it without destroying the wall and i ended up destroying the wall... who knew that silicone was such a strong adhesive?... lol) then after the wall is built and covered in drylok. i have to install it and soak it for i dont know how long to make sure any chemicals have leached out of it... then.... hopefully i can start to put the aquarium together with the substrate and many many plants... then i have to start the nitrogen cycle... and i am as yet unsure how long this will take... so i probably have another month to 3 months before i purchase any fish or frogs... but keep the advice coming. i will scratch the loaches for now... lets just see how i handle ADFs and glofish. if all goes well, maybe i can start spending my retirement on aquariums...lol!

remember. FISH ARE FRIENDS. NOT FOOD!
    quote from finding nemo...lol:;tmi