what fish to stock ( large)

1. Stealth Member Member

Hello

I have been indecisive regarding what to stock my 120G tank with. the tank is 5 foot long and 2 foot deep. I would like a single large fish, but not sure what yet, I was thinking a Flowerhorn. I have just started the first cycle so I am in no rush. Also the tank is an outdoor aquarium (under complete shade) if that is any issue.

EDIT additional information:
    -I am seeking Tropical Fish

-I live in a tropical climate, it is coming into winter now 25C-27C (Water temp) Summer is 28C (Water temp)

- I will have a fluorescent bulb over the tank

-I do have a heater, however I think the water temps will be okay.
    [​IMG]

2. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Just some question to help people answer. You said it will be outdoor. What type of climate do you live in? How cold in winter how warm in summer. Will it have a heater. will it have lights and filters of some sort. Are you looking for tropical or native fish to your area. Will they have a tank inside for the winter? May be if you can answer these question it will help in suggesting fish that would work Aliosn:;hi1

3. Stealth Member Member

Sure, I had posted on Freshwater for beginners with all the info a few days ago, with no real help. I will Edit my original post. Thanks.

4. MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Answered this already I believe. Flowerhorns are cool but I personally hate hybrid fish.

A lone wolf cichlid or jaguar cichlid pair would be awesome in a tank this size.

5. Stealth Member Member

I appreciate your responses. I just want a few suggestions and experiences from others, I don't want to rush this project.

6. corylover99 Member Member

You could do a leapord Ctenopoma with a school of Congo tetras, a large school of harlequin Rasboras, and a school of yoyo loaches?

7. slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Most of the medium to large cichlids from CA/SA will work in there. Dovii and Umbees will not.

8. Stealth Member Member

I believe a Dovii is the same as a wolf, can you clarify why it wouldn't suit, is it the size if tank?

9. slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Yes Parachromis dovii is the wolf cichlid. They grow up to 24" and I believe your tank is 18" wide.

10. Stealth Member Member

haha, makes sense. thanks for the heads up, because I was liking the look if the Wolf.

11. slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Any of the other species of Parachromis would be fine in there.

12. Stealth Member Member

i like the colouration of the false yellowjacket

13. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Do you want schooling or grouping fish? You know what would look really cool? Getting 4 small Angels, 30-50 Cardinal tetra's and some bottom dwellers, so you will have top medium and bottom dwellers:)

14. Stealth Member Member

thanks for the advice. I am leaning towards a pair of Jack Dempseys

15. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Jack dempsey's would do well. They are more tolerant of temperature fluctuation. 25 is pretty low for a Flowerhorn.

You could do a couple JD's and an Oscar.

16. shusband Well Known Member Member

I'd do a pair of jack dempsey's or oscars and a large school of silver dollars.

17. Stealth Member Member

you dont think the JD would eat the silver dollars, eventually?

18. shusband Well Known Member Member

Silver dollars are huge. I doubt it. I've never had a problem with oscars and silver dollars.

19. Stealth Member Member

I didnt realise how quick SD grow. I will be buying the Jack Dempseys as mature as I can find, I might have to do the same with the silver Dollars

20. shusband Well Known Member Member

My lfs has a tank full of 4-5 inch silver dollar that people sold back once they grow to big, I'm pretty sure there are jack dempsey's in there, definitely green terrors, oscars, and some other "monster fish" like a gar.