What fish to put with dwarf gourami

Handyzane101

Reaction score
I recently got two dwarf gourami fish and put them in a 20 gallon tank. I was wondering if there are any fish I could put in there with them that would eat the same food and get along.

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Handyzane101 said:
I recently got two dwarf gourami fish and put them in a 20 gallon tank. I was wondering if there are any fish I could put in there with them that would eat the same food and get along.
Because females are hard to find, I assume you have 2 male Dwarf Gourami.

Keep a very close eye on them. Having more than 1 often doesn’t end well due to aggression.

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
Handyzane101 said:
School of Mellow tetras maybe 10 neons, bloodlines, or cardinals . Ive kept a dwarf guarami with redeye tetra but that probably is at the top of activity they will like. A Gourami may not enjoy say Silvertips as tankmates as they are nuts (trust me I have 20)

OP
H

Handyzane101

Reaction score
Dunk2 said:
Because females are hard to find, I assume you have 2 male Dwarf Gourami.

Keep a very close eye on them. Having more than 1 often doesn’t end well due to aggression.
I actually have a male and a female

OP
H

Handyzane101

Reaction score
SanDiegoRedneck said:
Do you have picture of Male and female?
I dont, every time I try they swim away or the pic comes out blurry. I can describe them tho. I don't know which is female and which is male but the fish store guy said its a male and a female. One is like a orange with blue stripes and orange dots. The other is yellow on the top and gray on the bottem with a black line going threw the middle of its body

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Kuhli loaches. Kuhli loaches go well with (almost) everthing. I recommend 7 kuhli loaches. They are like the best little underwater thingy you can find. Don't get the black one; they need orange to do well. The black ones always don't do well.

OP
H

Handyzane101

Reaction score
jake37 said:
Kuhli loaches. Kuhli loaches go well with (almost) everthing. I recommend 7 kuhli loaches. They are like the best little underwater thingy you can find. Don't get the black one; they need orange to do well. The black ones always don't do well.
[/QUOTE
ok thanks. I don't think I have a big enough tank for them tho

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Borderline. They will swim in a big circle along hte back or front plane - if the tank were bigger they would swim up and down. Being larger would be a plus - the ones i have in the 120 swim back and fourth with the loaches so a round trip is like 10 feet - back and fourth - back and fourth - can make you dizzy.

Leeman75

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have kept all sorts of things with Dwarf Gouramis. Multiiple types of Tetras, Corys, Rams, Angels (though size-wise, Angels would not be an option for a 20), Rasboras, Guppies, Mollies.

I'd say the Mollies can be hit or miss. Anything else, it's probably going to be more a size thing. If the fish that you put with the DGs are around the same size, they could clash and it could go either way as far as the DGs being the bully or bullied. Just for sure stay away from Bettas or other Gouramis.

Leinalou

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Have the two dwarf gourami gotten along well? I'm trying to determine whether or not to get a second. I think he is lonely.

OP
H

Handyzane101

Reaction score
Leinalou said:
Have the two dwarf gourami gotten along well? I'm trying to determine whether or not to get a second. I think he is lonely.
Yes they have gotten along great

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Handyzane101 said:
The other is yellow on the top and gray on the bottem with a black line going threw the middle of its body
Hi there, don't mean to butt in but do you mind trying to snap a pic of this one? The description doesn't sound like any dwarf gourami I know :)