What fish to put in, high PH and Hard water

ChrisBoffer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi, im trying to find out which fish I should put in my aquarium, I have put 7 guppies in, and 4 Catfish Dwarf suckers, and want to put in 8 Panda Corys, and 2 male Honey gouramis, but what I should put in Next I don't know, because my water hardness and PH is very high, i whas thinking some Discus, but they dont like hard water, do you guys have any suggestions what I should put in, there is colourful, and go along whit my aquascape, and fish?

Water:
Hardness 18
Ph 8
Ammonia : 0
Nitrit : 0
Nitrat : 15

Tank:
350 liters.

Filtration:
1 - Airpump
1 - EX 1200 Plus 4,5 Kg biohome ultimate
1 - EX 1200 Plus 4,5 Kg biohome ultimate

Attachments

CoryFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My corries do just fine in my high ph and hard water, not sure about the gouramis

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I successfully kept Discus for several years in water w/ PH 8.2. I found the only problem was the eggs wouldn't hatch in the hard water.
As long as the tank is kept clean and of an appropriate size, the temp kept between 82 - 86 degrees, keeping discus in hard water isn't all that difficult.

kansas

Valued Member
Reaction score
i found a facebook page for people who keep fish in my city, and was able to ask questions about the fish i want from people growing them in the same water that comes out of my tap. maybe this would work for you.

ChrisBoffer

Valued Member
Reaction score
A201 said:
I successfully kept Discus for several years in water w/ PH 8.2. I found the only problem was the eggs wouldn't hatch in the hard water.
As long as the tank is kept clean and of an appropriate size, the temp kept between 82 - 86 degrees, keeping discus in hard water isn't all that difficult.
Thanks for the answer, i might try to have 2 discus when

kansas said:
i found a facebook page for people who keep fish in my city, and was able to ask questions about the fish i want from people growing them in the same water that comes out of my tap. maybe this would work for you.
Thanks for the answer, its a Good idea I will try that out.

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Any fish can adapt to a high pH as long as the fish is slowly acclimated.

ChrisBoffer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Crispii said:
Any fish can adapt to a high pH as long as the fish is slowly acclimated.
Except for a fish like the Mikrogeophagus Ramiresi, something about it's liquid inside its body

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
ChrisBoffer said:
Except for a fish like the Mikrogeophagus Ramiresi, something about it's liquid inside its body
You can definitely keep German rams in a high pH. They'll adapt.

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Have you considered turquoise rainbowfish? I just started stocking a 65 gallon tank with them, and my ph is about 8.2. (And yes, I know, when replying to stocking questions I usually recommend my current favorite fish.)

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ChrisBoffer said:
Thanks for the answer, i might try to have 2 discus when
To be noted discus like hot water and groups of 6+ and panda cories don't like hot water. I think that applys to the HG too but if you traded them in for sterbai cories it could go well

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom