What fish to breed?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by MaddieLynn, Apr 16, 2010.

1. MaddieLynn

MaddieLynnWell Known MemberMember

Today I snagged 2 10 gallon tanks for $10 each. They came with filters, one heater, and lots of decorations. SCORE!

Now I'm wanting to breed some fish. I was thinking of having guppies in my community tank and growing out the fry in one of the 10 gallons (I think I'm going to let my 10yo sister use the other one), but I'm not sure if my LFS would take the fry since guppies are so common. So now I'm not sure what I'd like to try to breed. Any suggestions on something I could breed while in my community tank? It's just 29 gallons, and I already have neons and a dwarf gourami in it, so angels are out of the question.

2. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I think it's always a good idea to check with your LFS to see what they would take first.

3. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

you'll probably have a difficult time breeding any kind of egg layer in a community tank, it's possible with enough cover but for the best results you should have a breeding tank. If you are looking to sell them off to the LFS then the best thing to do is call them, tell them what you are doing, and ask what they are interested in. At least that will give you a better idea of what to go for. Take care!

4. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Actually many LFS will take guppys in when they are young and sell them as feeders so if they won't give you credit for them and you really need them gone that'd be a way to go.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice