What Fish To Breed?

ThePuzzleMaker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey guys, I own a 30g breeder a 40g breeder and a 10g.
I have bred guppies for a year now and I'm tired of it. I am looking for a fish that doesn't breed as easily as guppies.
Any suggestions?
I'd like fish that are cool to breed, require a little more amount of work or anything like that. Take into consideration the tanks I already have cause I can't get more any time soon.
Thanks in advance!

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What is your end goal? Do you want to sell the fry or are you just in it for the challenge?

ThePuzzleMaker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Going in it for simple interest and challenge, if I could sell them great, but it`s not the goal.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would suggest tetras or barbs! Relatively easy to breed, but a lot more exciting than the average guppy! Same as cories!

Another fish I'd reccomend are small of the smaller cichlids, like rams, apistos and shelldwellers!

Have you also considered 'wild' type bettas?

ThePuzzleMaker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have considered bettas but don`t have small tanks to separate teh males and everything.

Apistos and Rams are great choices, could I make it work with my current equipment?

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have considered bettas but don`t have small tanks to separate teh males and everything.

Apistos and Rams are great choices, could I make it work with my current equipment?
Depending om what equitment you have... then yes.

A lot of the wild betta species actually do better in groups and pairs, and separation isn't as important than it is with the fancy bettas (Betta splendens) One betta species I would suggest is betta imbellis, but there are loads of others including mouth-broaders!

Maybe consider kilifish as well?

ThePuzzleMaker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My ph is 7.5. If I decide for apistos or rams, what is the best way to lower it naturally? Any suggestions?
Shell dwellers don`t sell in my area (i asked a friend who is a lfs owner)

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My ph is 7.5. If I decide for apistos or rams, what is the best way to lower it naturally? Any suggestions?
Shell dwellers don`t sell in my area (i asked a friend who is a lfs owner)
Unless they wildcaught, apistos and rams can easily tolerate and breed in higher pH levels.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom