What fish to Avoid???

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What would everyones reccomendations suggesttions thoughts or any other inhabitants to steer clear of reguardless of the size of the tank. I know Common plecos are high on the list but what other community or cichlids would you avoid?

mimo91088

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Plenty of stuff I'd say beginners should avoid. But for the advanced aquarist, the only thing I'd say to avoid are fish that just get too darn big to live in a glass box, like red tail cats for example.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Koi for tanks

SM1199

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't have any experience with particularly large community fish or cichlids, but Dustin's Fish Tanks posted a couple videos on "Top 5 aquarium fish with the worst personalities" and "Top 6 most p***ed off aquarium fish" particularly aimed at large fish not suitable for a community.

His answers:
Clown knife fish, dovii cichlid, red bellied piranha, Australian rainbow fish, skunk botia loach, Jack Dempsey cichlid, alligator gar, oscar, wolf fish, green terror cichlid, and red devil cichlid.

Of course, these are not my opinions as I don't have any experience with the above fish, and there can be exceptions to some of these as with all fish. Just relaying them :)

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
SM1199 said:
I don't have any experience with particularly large community fish or cichlids, but Dustin's Fish Tanks posted a couple videos on "Top 5 aquarium fish with the worst personalities" and "Top 6 most p***ed off aquarium fish" particularly aimed at large fish not suitable for a community.

His answers:
Clown knife fish, dovii cichlid, red bellied piranha, Australian rainbow fish, skunk botia loach, Jack Dempsey cichlid, alligator gar, oscar, wolf fish, green terror cichlid, and red devil cichlid.

Of course, these are not my opinions as I don't have any experience with the above fish, and there can be exceptions to some of these as with all fish. Just relaying them :)
Awesome answer. I've watched pretty much all of his videos while sometimes has a bit of an annoying voice he is a great plant guy and actually the person that gt me into going with live plants and i've never looked back :)

mimo91088

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
Awesome answer. I've watched pretty much all of his videos while sometimes has a bit of an annoying voice he is a great plant guy and actually the person that gt me into going with live plants and i've never looked back :)
Never heard of this guy but I'll have to check him out!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
mimo91088 said:
Never heard of this guy but I'll have to check him out!
Awesome videos and advice on dirted planted tanks especially. And if you want a good laugh look for his video on the shamwow spoof and pink gravel... He's a character but knows his stuff

AcuarioAmazonico

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
SM1199 great. I have Four of those “avoid” fish :D

mimo91088

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
Awesome videos and advice on dirted planted tanks especially. And if you want a good laugh look for his video on the shamwow spoof and pink gravel... He's a character but knows his stuff
I'm not a fan of dirted tanks but I love me some plants

AcuarioAmazonico

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Also I would say avoid eels. Unless you have ZERO holes - yes even ones the size of a penny. Holes blocked and you’re good to go!

MacZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Clear avoid in my opinion... cuckoo catfish with mouthbrooders. Unless you want tons of catfish. Also convict cichlids in community tanks. SAEs with smaller shoaling fish.

mimo91088

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
AcuarioAmazonico said:
Also I would say avoid eels. Unless you have ZERO holes - yes even ones the size of a penny. Holes blocked and you’re good to go!
I want eels so bad. But this is why I avoid them. I'm very familiar with how snakes escape, and eels are basically water snakes.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Balloon anything . Such a shame the fish industry does not care and people are so clueless they just throw their money at them ..
The creation of this improved nothing in the fish industry but their bottom line ..
I'll throw dwarf gouramis in with them ..A real close second for a poor fish they just sell and sell..They didn't create it they just screwed them up .
You know what they say ..A fool and their money …...
The fish industry hears that loud and clear ..

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
MacZ said:
SAEs with smaller shoaling fish.
Unless you meant CAE i respectfully disagree. I have a heavily stocked and planted 55 with 2 quite large SAE and i also have a 20 long nicely stocked with 2 smaller SAE and a ton of smaller size cory cats and they all get along very well.

AcuarioAmazonico

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mimo91088 said:
I want eels so bad. But this is why I avoid them. I'm very familiar with how snakes escape, and eels are basically water snakes.
omg snakes escape? That is my actual nightmare. Show me a spider the size of a softball glove and I’ll get the mortein or a swatter. When it comes to snakes I freeze. Now you say thy escape.

Im never returning to a LFS with snakes again.

i live in Australia: fear of snakes is not irrational: it’s common bloody sense!

MacZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
Unless you meant CAE i respectfully disagree. I have a heavily stocked and planted 55 with 2 quite large SAE and i also have a 20 long nicely stocked with 2 smaller SAE and a ton of smaller size cory cats and they all get along very well.
No, I mean SAE. Seen what one of those did to a shoal of cardinals. But CAE count aswell.

mimo91088

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
coralbandit said:
Balloon anything . Such a shame the fish industry does not care and people are so clueless they just throw their money at them ..
The creation of this improved nothing in the fish industry but their bottom line ..
I'll throw dwarf gouramis in with them ..A real close second for a poor fish they just sell and sell..They didn't create it they just screwed them up .
You know what they say ..A fool and their money …...
The fish industry hears that loud and clear ..
I respect you and your experience a lot, but I'm going to disagree. And I fully realize the collective internet is going to roll their eyes and say "this guy is dumb" to me. The fish that I had that
I posted about in the survivors thread, who lived through the long cold power outage were balloon mollies. They lived through what would have outright killed most fish with no ill effects whatsoever. I never saw anything that would lead me to believe their quality of life was any lesser.

I know you deal with rams a lot, and I have no idea about balloon ram genetics. Those might be terrible. But I loved my balloon mollies and I'd buy them again in a heartbeat. I still have one with my guppy colony.

AcuarioAmazonico

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MacZ said:
No, I mean SAE. Seen what one of those did to a shoal of cardinals. But CAE count aswell.
I have a tiny sae in with tetras and no drama. I have it’s brother who is now about 5 times her size and he’s with a mix of small rainbows. He’s the quietest thing in the tank.

im really interested to hear about this aggressive side.I’ve always kind of forgotten about my SAE - Thinking of the like mystery snails

mimo91088

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
AcuarioAmazonico said:
im really interested to hear about this aggressive side.I’ve always kind of forgotten about my SAE - Thinking of the like mystery snails
Did I understand correctly, are you saying to avoid mystery snails?

What's happening in this thread, am I taking crazy pills? Lol, but in all seriousness im liking the different opinions in here. I feel like debating this stuff is good for the hobby as a whole. I know I for one learn a whole lot from a bit of healthy disagreement all the time.

But I have to say, mystery snails are another of my favorites lol

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
GREAT!!! look what i started hahahaha... No i definitely agree it's great to see everyones opinions on basically things that have and haven't worked is what i think it comes down to but IMO makes it all the more interesting with everyones answers.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom