What fish to add? 55 Gallon Tank 

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I moved my GBRs and BN to the 30 gallon tetra tank.

So that leaves me with dwarf neon rainbows, gold barbs and pearl gouramis. I've got an idea of what I want to get, but would like to hear some other ideas.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
what size of tank is it?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ah, it's in the heading and not the actual post....it's a 55.

*They should make it so that the header to the title of the thread is displayed in the title of the post*

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Jaysee said:
Ah, it's in the heading and not the actual post....it's a 55.

*They should make it so that the header to the title of the thread is displayed in the title of the post*
Agreed.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
oh lol sorry I did not see that
I would suggest other rainbow fish, small loaches (zebra loach), cories, small pleco, hatchet fish, or harlequin rasbora.
Are you looking for any type of fish in particular like surface, middle, bottom dellers or schoolers anything that might help narrow it down a little.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
NMfishman said:
oh lol sorry I did not see that
I would suggest other rainbow fish, small loaches (zebra loach), cories, small pleco, hatchet fish, or harlequin rasbora.
Are you looking for any type of fish in particular like surface, middle, bottom dellers or schoolers anything that might help narrow it down a little.
I've already got two schools, and am looking for a school for the bottom and something for the middle down. And maybe another school of small fish...

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
cories or loaches would be great for the bottom. Neon and glowlight tetras I know are not nippy and stay towards the bottom, cherry barbs would also be good. Harlequin rasboras are a little bigger and stay mid-top but are a really nice addition.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
NMfishman said:
cories or loaches would be great for the bottom. Neon and glowlight tetras I know are not nippy and stay towards the bottom, cherry barbs would also be good. Harlequin rasboras are a little bigger and stay mid-top but are a really nice addition.
Ah, you know, I should give a rundown on what I already have and are already getting.

Tetras - black neons, neons, flames, bloodfins, serpaes Barbs - tigers, golds, cherries Corys - albinos, leopard, emeralds Rainbows - dwarf neons, boesmanis, turquise Knives - african, BGK Loaches - kuhlis, dojos Plecos - BN, rubberlip Livebearers - platies, guppies, swordtails Cichlids - GBRs, angels Anabantoids - bettas, pearl gouramis, dwarf gourami, spotted ctenapoma Other - goldfish, senegal bichir, GW killis

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ok so are you looking for something that is not already on that list, cuz I did not see glowlight tetras, zebra loaches, or harlequin rasboras on there. Or what are you looking for. sorry if I am not following along well, I am tired and can barely see my computer screen ;D

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am considdering zebra loaches, as well as polkadots for the bottom. I'm also considdering bolivian rams. And I've been eyeing the harlequin rasboras for a while now....

BTW, I used to have glowlights - got rid of them cause they tore up my rams fins.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
both are good loaches I think the zebra's are a little smaller though. Rams should work well. I love harlequin rasboras, I just wish I could get them out here ( I hate living in the middle of nowhere!)

Jaysee said:
BTW, I used to have glowlights - got rid of them cause they tore up my rams fins.
oh no I guess I got lucky, or you were unlucky

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, you pretty much came up with what I was thinking.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a large group of Harlequin Rasbora in my 75 gallon and absolutely love them. They don't bother anybody and are fast enough nothing else bothers them.
Carol

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dwarf chain loaches are pretty awesome looking and you could get a big school of them. But they are silvery so I'm not sure they'll go with your color scheme.

-Lisa

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kunsthure said:
Dwarf chain loaches are pretty awesome looking and you could get a big school of them. But they are silvery so I'm not sure they'll go with your color scheme.

-Lisa
Yep ditto They are really active in a group too.
Carol

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you look at harlequin rasboras, have you looked at the black harlies? Under the light, the black shines purple and blue. They're a really fun fish, yet many people don't have them due to availability.

Hope this helps.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, I think t hey are the frontrunners now.

Now for loaches....

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i have harlies .....they are nice looking. they have a coppery rose gold accent to them. and i bet a large school, like 12-15 would look even better! i've seen the black in photos. pretty.

my harlies are pigs, they are always wanting some food. i have to say though, when i put my male endler in with them, a couple of them chased him for a little while, but then left him alone. but i was surprised they'd even do that.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads