What fish to Add to my Tank? Help

1. VenomGrass Member Member

Hey Guys.
    Currently have a rainbow shark - which i'm taking back tomorrow. And want to replace with others. What fish are very colourful, I need a main fish to my tank. And maybe a bottom feeder too. Thanks

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

how about a sunset gourami?

3. Jake the Fish Member Member

4. VenomGrass Member Member

So If I get dwarf gourami, will 2 be better company (male and female) or?..
    Also are rams hard to care for? I like blue rams.

5. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Depends of the dwarf gourami you get, honey gouramis and sparkling gouramis I believe stay small and arent as aggressive as other types but it always depends on the personality of the fish - some fish like humans are just born pests!

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

IMO i wouldnt put 2 in that size tank with all the other fish you have..it will be a war zone

7. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Blue rams seem to be hard to keep alive and it's a puzzle why.

Bolivian rams are not hard to keep. The older they get, the more color they show. They're definitely a fun fish with a lot of personality.

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

but with 4 platies, 6 neons and some platy fry, is there room for br in a 17g tank?

9. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

My thoughts would be yes, room for one. Platys stay at the top, neons stay top to middle and one ram would occupy the bottom. Good filtration and keeping up with water changes should make it feasible.

A 17g tank has close to a 20g footprint, right? Or this there something I'm missing?:;dk

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

nope you are correct as far as footprint ..not much differences...my concern was for the others ..my platies are a good 3 inches big...and are all over the tank...and with platy fry growing up there also, wasnt sure if there was enough room...i dont know about rams hence why i asked ;D ty darlin!

11. VenomGrass Member Member

Yeah the platys like to be at the top, swimming against the water jet all day haha. the neons enjoy middle. and the bottom is kinda empty. I'll get a bolivian ram and if there are any problems I'll upgrade the tank because either way I want another tank (much bigger) :) Thanks

12. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

my neons are bottom to middle, not top to middle at all. The neon care sheet also says bottom to middle, so you may want to plan accordingly.

lol, Dan - I'm having the opposite issue - the top of mine is empty because all my fish stay around the bottom.

13. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

same with my neons...

how about a dg for you also meenu?

14. VenomGrass Member Member

Yeah this is why I think mine have problems. however, around 8:30pm when the lights go off they sink down and get ready for bed time :). What are the most popular top swimmers according to the data sheets Meenu?

[EDIT: I just noticed DG's are middle/top]
    Cheers All

15. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hatchetfish, harlequin rasboras, DG are all top swimmers (I just asked recently, these are the answers I got)

Shawnie, I am thinking of a DG but am nervous because there's been a lot posted recently about DG disease.

16. Jake the Fish Member Member

I have 2 Blue Rams and they are really easy to keep. I've had them for about 4 months and they haven't caused any problem.

17. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Aren't the rams more sensitive to pH? ???