What fish to add next?

Nybbles

Reaction score
So the tank has just almost completed the cycle... I went the Bio-Spira route.  Was hoping I could get a few suggestions for what else to add once it finishes.  My goal is to have a variety of small, colorful and playful fish, swimming at all levels... as opposed to a few larger fish.

So far, I have 5 guppies (4 Blonde Delta's, 1 Tequila Sunrise) and 5 Neon Tetra's in a 20 gallon tank.  I'm thinking that one more small group will probably do it.  Any suggestions?

My water is mid to high 7's ph wise (the tetra dont seem to mind), and around 78'F.  I've been putting in some salt for the guppies benefit, but the more I read, it seems this could be stopped if the new fish wont like it.

So far, I'm considering maybe another small group of tetra's (maybe glowlights), or maybe some platy's (or dwarf platy's).

What do you guys think?  Are there any other fish I should be researching and considering?

Golden Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
The Glowlights are cool.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would add one more neon as they like being in groups of six. What type of filteration do you have, if you have good filteration you could get away with two more groups of small fish if you keep up with your gravel vacs. Glowlights if you like them and 4-5 platys if you'd like too.

so final stock could look like
6 neon tetras
6 glowlight tetras
5 guppies
5 assorted platys
as long as you have good filteration and you do good gravel vacs

atm

JMatt1983

Valued Member
Reaction score
red tail calico platies are nice (white bodies, red tail with black spots) or even tri colour platies ( white bodies, solid black and then solid orange to the tail

Nybbles

Reaction score
Sorry guys, I typo'd... already have 6 neons.

Also, I have an Aquaclear 50 (200 GPH) on my 20 gal tank, so I'm good there, and will be maintaining the tank regularly.

Down to 4 guppies, and one more isnt looking so good, so I might add one or two more. Not sure if the stress of cycling hurt him or what. I also think I may have been over-feeding for a while. (Water is good now, completed cycle and no ammonia or nitrites.)

Last night, added 3 dwarf platy's and they are still exploring the tank. I think I'll take your suggestion and also get the glowlights. I dont want to get scolded for overstocking, but you guys suggested it. I'll add them slowly over the next few weeks and let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks!

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would add them all at the same time, quarentine them first if possible if not, check with the lfs to see if they have had any recent deaths, otherwise buy the glowlights all at the same time.

atm

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom