What fish sold as fresh water should be in brackish?

Fishfriendof315

More or less what type of fish do LFS sell in freshwater that should be in brackish later on in life or just start in brackish conditions. My figure 8 is about the age to move over to brackish, but don't want an aquarium of just puffer types. Going big with a 100 or 150 gallon seeing she is one of my prize fish.

IMG_20210217_194701986.jpg

Fishfriendof315

Mollies like brackish tanks, I don't know if they keep them in freshwater at the LFS.
My local one does and petsmart here does also. Actually I need to edit my post

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

I'd consider mollies a truly brackish fish, to be honest - they'll do well in freshwater or saltwater (they're true euryhaline fish), but they do best in brackish IME.

Columbian sharks are commonly sold in freshwater, despite the fact that they'll need salt in the tank as they grow.

Monos (moonfish) are another good example, although they're pretty uncommon, a lot of the time they're sold as "Moony Angelfish" or something to that tune. They're either sold in freshwater, OR they're sold in full saltwater, when they really need to start in fresh and move up to full marine very slowly.

Green spotted puffers are another. I bought my guy in full fresh. He's at 1.012 now.

Amano shrimp are usually a brackish water species, but can live in hard freshwater for a long time. Ghost shrimp (Paleomontes sp.) also tend to be brackish-dwelling, and I've even acclimated a few to saltwater, but it depends on which exact species you're dealing with.

Guppies handle brackish tanks really well. Platies and swordtails handle them well up to around 1.005 or so.

Bumblebee gobies are commonly sold as freshwater fish, and while there IS a species of FW bumblebee goby, most of the individuals sold in the hobby are the brackish species.

Upvote 0

CHJ

"Freshwater" moray eels. IIRC tiretracks might also like brackish.
Archer fish
Several puffers. The craziest I have seen was Youtube footage of full salt puffers converted to full fresh.
Some wild bettas like mahachaiensis IIRC
Mudskippers.
4 eye fish.
"freshwater" flounders.
Some gobies. Bumble and Dragon come to mind immediately. Was knight another? I know I changed my mind about knight after finding out something about them.
Usually scats are listed as brackish though I did see one in fresh in a big box years ago.
Some snails, like nerite and red racer (which I think are also nerite?)
Maybe some killies? I don't know these fish so I could be totally off.
Flagfish.
IIRC the thing that put me off freshwater stonefish was that they wanted brackish.
The afore mentioned mollies.

Are halfbeaks brackish or just tolerant?

EDIT: Forgot the Top Hat Blenny which hit the LFS about 6 mo ago. People say it is fresh but it has "Blenny" in its name so I assume it is happiest in brackish.

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

"Freshwater" moray eels. IIRC tiretracks might also like brackish.
Archer fish
Several puffers. The craziest I have seen was Youtube footage of full salt puffers converted to full fresh.
Some wild bettas like mahachaiensis IIRC
Mudskippers.
4 eye fish.
"freshwater" flounders.
Some gobies. Bumble and Dragon come to mind immediately. Was knight another? I know I changed my mind about knight after finding out something about them.
Usually scats are listed as brackish though I did see one in fresh in a big box years ago.
Some snails, like nerite and red racer (which I think are also nerite?)
Flagfish.
IIRC the thing that put me off freshwater stonefish was that they wanted brackish.
The afore mentioned mollies.

Are halfbeaks brackish or just tolerant?
Good list.

Some killies definitely prefer brackish. Halfbeaks are in the same vein as guppies - tolerant of a range of salinities, but probably best kept in hard freshwater or low-end brackish.

Upvote 0

Hecklad

"freshwater" flounders.

Flagfish.
The freshwater flounders, which are usually either Brachirus selheimi or Trinectes maculatus can live totally in freshwater. I imagine the Brachirus needs high ph though in fresh.

Flagfish are freshwater fish that enter brackish areas on occasion. They really will never be found anywhere over 1.005 in the wild, although they can likely tolerate higher.

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

The freshwater flounders, which are usually either Brachirus selheimi or Trinectes maculatus can live totally in freshwater. I imagine the Brachirus needs high ph though in fresh.

Flagfish are freshwater fish that enter brackish areas on occasion. They really will never be found anywhere over 1.005 in the wild, although they can likely tolerate higher.
Do you have any evidence to support your claim about the flounders? Not that I don't believe you, but every source I've come across has always claimed they need brackish to live a long life. Not that I've dug very deep, though.

Upvote 0

Hecklad

Do you have any evidence to support your claim about the flounders? Not that I don't believe you, but every source I've come across has always claimed they need brackish to live a long life. Not that I've dug very deep, though.
Just about everwhere lists Brachirus as a riverine fish, but they could be migratory. I know multiple people who have caught Trinectes in springs and creeks pretty far inland and have bred them in freshwater

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

Just about everwhere lists Brachirus as a riverine fish, but they could be migratory. I know multiple people who have caught Trinectes in springs and creeks pretty far inland and have bred them in freshwater
Seems as if you hit the nail on the head with them being migratory - these three websites all list them as being found in freshwater as well as brackish, and one of them mentions that they're usually found at the end of rivers and in estuaries.

Tonguefish
https://www.fishbase.in/summary/25167
http://theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/Brachirus_panoides

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

The freshwater flounders...Trinectes maculatus can live totally in freshwater.
I suspect this might be related to age. In Florida, we would catch young hogchokers in the springs many miles from the ocean. But, I never saw an adult.

Upvote 0

N13

I think nerite snails might prefer to be in brackish same with mystery

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ChrissFishes01
Replies
Views
RayClem