What Fish Should I Put With My Betta?

BettaLily03

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey, I have a betta fish and an apple snail in a 10 gallon aquarium but I'm looking to add some more. I was thinking of putting one gold dojo loach and some neon tetras in, would that be okay? Any other fish u would recommend? (I won't crowd the tank I just want some ideas) thanks

Shivam

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Although guppies require 5 gallon (preferably 10), I think you can house 2-4 male guppies.
Now I know that long flowing fins of guppies make them betta's target, but there are many short finned varieties of guppies. Hence betta won't have any tiny flowing fins to chase.
I also have 15 guppies (all male) with a betta in my small outdoor pond and they get along pretty well (in fact, sometimes it's the tiny guppies that chase away betta )

To summarize, if you don't overcrowd the tank and choose short tailed guppies, you should be fine

Neptune334

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dojo Loaches like friends and should be kept in at least 29 gallons, preferably 55. Neon Tetras are a schooling species that, because of their activity, should be kept in 20 gallons. I would recommend adding some shrimp or more snails, as keeping betta fish with others in a 10 gallon is risky.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dojos get to 10-12" and need a 48" tank minimum. They are social so you need more than one.

Neons need 20 gallons minimum.

Both dojos and neons need much cooler water than bettas.

I wouldn't add any other fish at all. You could add some invertebrates like shrimp or snails depending on your betta's temperament. I keep/have kept amano shrimp, pest snails, rabbit snails and nerite snails with my betta.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Currently, I have 8 CPD's in my 10 gallon with a betta, but it's only temporary.
I'm going to agree with BottomDweller.

Dandelion-Dream

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Shivam said:
Although guppies require 5 gallon (preferably 10), I think you can house 2-4 male guppies.
Now I know that long flowing fins of guppies make them betta's target, but there are many short finned varieties of guppies. Hence betta won't have any tiny flowing fins to chase.
I also have 15 guppies (all male) with a betta in my small outdoor pond and they get along pretty well (in fact, sometimes it's the tiny guppies that chase away betta )

To summarize, if you don't overcrowd the tank and choose short tailed guppies, you should be fine
Try feeder/wild guppies. They're much less threatening to a male betta.

OP
BettaLily03

BettaLily03

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks everyone and sorry I'm posting so many questions. You all are very helpful

EbbandFlowCeramics

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It seems like every betta is different. My first betta did very well with shrimp and one nerite snail.

My current betta, Gandalf, is on the more aggressive side. When I tried to introduce some shrimp to his tank, he quickly ate them all up! So I am keeping him by himself.

Jen86

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like endlers with bettas, and you can put 6 in a 10 gallon as long as you keep up with water changes.

But as others said, it depends on the fish. Most bettas do fine in community tanks as long as they are made to feel secure, but some are just too aggressive.

New Threads