what fish should I get?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by brianpressman, Mar 22, 2010.

1. b

brianpressman New Member Member

Hi

I set up my 35 gallon hexagon tank about 4 weeks ago. I have been cycling it with 6 guppies and my water tests indicate that the cycle is complete. I am now trying to figure out which fish to add. My water has a 7.5 ph and a temp between 24-26 (I live in Hawaii and don't use a heater). I have a Aqua Clear hanging filter rated for 70 gallons. There is black gravel on the tank floor with 2 good sized (tall) artificial plants.

The following fish are available at my local pet store:

Blue tetra
    ember tetra
    neon tetra
    leopard dano long fin
    silver tip tetra
    head and tail tetra
    golden white cloud
    glowlight tetra
    robertsi tetra
    white fin tetra
    platy
    danio pink
    checker barb
    rainbow shark
    gold barb
    chinese algae eater
    harlequin rasbora
    neon dwarf rainbow
    pearl danio
    feeder comet
    pleco
    bumble bee goby

What fish combination do you guys recommend (given that I already have 6 guppies)? Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

2. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

WELCOME TO FISHLORE! :;hi2

IMO, I would get 2 schools of tetras. A school of 6 would do nicely. But wait for more suggestions from other members :) Best of luck and hope to see some photos soon. :;hf

3. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Forget the Rainbow shark, Chinese Algae Eater, Comets, Head & Tail Light Tetra, Checker Barb & Gold Barb. I know they are all either aggressive or known fin nippers that will find your guppies fins too good to resist. Comets are a cold water fish. Bumblee Bee Gobys are best suited to a species tank as they need hard alkaline water with a little salt added.

I would probably go with some Neons if that is all you have to work with. You could also have a pleco if it is a Bristlenose or some other species that stays 6" or smaller. A group of 4-6 Corys would be nice if you can get them.

4. OP
    OP
    b

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I was sort of worried that my water 7.5 might be too alkaline for tetras?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello BrianPressman and Welcome to Fish Lore!

:animal0068:I've moved your thread to the Aquarium Stocking Questions section of the forum to help you to get more responses.

I hope you enjoy the site!
    Ken

6. OP
    OP
    b

Sorry about that. Thanks for moving me.

7. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

they should adjust just fine to your pH

8. OP
    OP
    b

Great. here is another question. I've heard that as I add fish, it should be done only 1 at a time. Since I would be getting 6 tetras, is it ok to add them 1 at a time or should I introduce the whole lot at once?

9. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'd say add 3, wait for a couple of weeks, and then add the other 3. Oh, and almost everyone would recommend quarantining for 2-3 weeks first (I don't have a q-tank set up, but it is highly recommended)...

10. OP
    OP
    b

K. thanks

11. OP
    OP
    b

The 35g tank now has:

6 guppies (male)
    3 harlequin rasbara (want to get 1 or 2 more)
    5 golden white clouds (babies... so so tiny)

In a few weeks I'd like to add 1 school of tetras. Are you guys a fan of the 1 gallon per 1 inch of fish rule?

12. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Your stocking sounds fabulous!

The inch per gallon rule can be used as a guideline. IMHO-filtration, maintenance, and swim space are the best guidelines.

13. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

:;hi1 Good suggestions above!!!
    Also pickout of the list the ones you like best, and reseach them on the net...use more than one source for info.

or.......I have an idea!!!....get a couple more big tanks!!!!

AND WELCOME TO FISHLORE!

14. OP
    OP
    b

Thanks everyone. Actually, I do wish I could get another tank (or a bigger one than I have now) but my apartment is too small.

15. p

potatos Valued Member Member

in your original list i saw that you had considered a pleco. dont be tempted to get one, because they do not stay small, and will outgrow your tank. snails and other small algae eaters such as ottos and Siamese algae eaters along with magnetically scrubbing the tank walls is a better alternative for algae control.

16. OP
    OP
    b

Ah ok. Shoots. I havent seen Siamese algae eaters.. only the chinese ones. I'll keep looking. I have seen Ottos tho

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  17. p

ottos are good, but many including myself have trouble keeping them alive, but are worth a try ( look for ones with full bellies). ramshorn snails are also good and easy to care for, but will over populate if you over feed your fish(which helps you know how much to feed) and will most likey be impossable to be rid of once you have them. some consider them pests for those reasons. the bristlenosed pleco only gets 5 in, but will have a substantle bio load and would need to be incorperated into your stocking plans.
    be sure to get a real SAE,

chinese algae eaters become aggressive when older

18. OP
    OP
    b

19. p

sure thing, I find it better than the inch per gallon rule, but it is not perfect so you could still double check your final stocking plan here

20. OP
    OP
    b

Hello,

Here is my final tank:

6 guppies (male)
    5 harlequin rasbara
    5 golden white clouds (babies... so so tiny)
    5 neon tetra
    1 Siamese Algae eater

The online calculators say im a tad over 100% stocked, but im thinking it is ok since I have a 35 gallon tank with a 70 gallon rated filter. Let me know what you guys think.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice