Help What Fish Should I Add?

JJBriant

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello I am wanting to set up a 30 gallon community tropical aquarium and am looking for stocking ideas. I already have 10 neon tetras and 4 albino corydoras in a 10 gallon that I want to move into the 30. I was thinking about getting a few more Cory’s and a group of hatchet fish and maybe a Bolivian ram. What do you guys think?

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
How about:
1× bolivian ram
10× neon tetra
6× albino corydora
6× hatchets

I can't recommend bolivians enough! They are really great fish. I believe the above stocking wouldn't be overstocked, as long as the tanks dimensions aren't wonky. Second opinions are always best though as I'm not too well versed with hatchets. I do know that they need a lid though.

OP
J

JJBriant

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes I really like the Bolivian rams th
Feohw said:
How about:
1× bolivian ram
10× neon tetra
6× albino corydora
6× hatchets

I can't recommend bolivians enough! They are really great fish. I believe the above stocking wouldn't be overstocked, as long as the tanks dimensions aren't wonky. Second opinions are always best though.
Yes I really like the look of the Bolivian and the temperament from what I have read. I was originally looking at the German blue ram but they need too hot of an aquarium for my other fish so I started looking into the Bolivian. The only question I have is do they bother snails like some other Cichlids? If not I want to throw a couple nerite snails in there as well

Meghanfloof

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
For a 30gal, definitley move up those ten gallon fish, add at least two more albino cories. A group of 6+ marbled hatchetfish would be fine. Maybe hold off on the ram though, cichlids can get a little territorial from what I understand, although I am no expert.
Just be sure to have floating plants for the hatchetfish and a firm lid. They will get spooked and jump with smaller schools, not a lot of cover, etc

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JJBriant said:
Yes I really like the Bolivian rams th

Yes I really like the look of the Bolivian and the temperament from what I have read. I was originally looking at the German blue ram but they need too hot of an aquarium for my other fish so I started looking into the Bolivian. The only question I have is do they bother snails like some other Cichlids? If not I want to throw a couple nerite snails in there as well
I'm sure they might go for them if they were to fall over and be exposed. Otherwise they should be fine. I've had amano shrimp and a zebra nerite in with my 4 bolivians and they've been fine (granted the amanos are always hiding). Just make sure it's not a horned nerite, they are half the size of other nerites. Also in case you didn't see my last edit on the other comment, a lid will be needed with the hatchets.

OP
J

JJBriant

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes I did see that thank you! I was planning on a lid even if I didn’t get the hatchets, because of my cats lol. That’s something I’m not sure about though. I don’t know what kind of lid to get so that I can put a hang on back filter and a light because I want to plant my tank.

I have had a lot of people recommend the Bolivian ram for my aquarium so I think I am going to try it, but I have a back up plan if it doesn’t work. Do you have a recommendation for top floating plants. I tried duckweed in my 10 gallon and hated it

I am planning on setting up a 30 gallon aquarium. I already have a 10 gallon aquarium with 10 neon tetras, 4 albino corydoras, and a mystery snail that I plan on moving into the 30. I would also like to get 6 marble hatchet fish and a Bolivian ram. I would also like to get some more corydoras. How many Cory’s do you think I could put in there on top of the 4 I have already?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm sure a pro will chime in about the Ram ( possibly due to a PH difference )which i'm not very familiar with but I would say up your neon school to 15 add 4 more corys forget the hatchet fish that way the hatchet and neons don't clash being they are both more toward the top dwelling fish. but don't hold me to it wait for other suggestions.

OP
J

JJBriant

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What would be a good top swimmer to go along with them?

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Up your corys to 10. The bolivian should be fine. And I don't see a problem with neons and hatchetfish in the same tank

OP
J

JJBriant

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
smee82 said:
Up your corys to 10. The bolivian should be fine. And I don't see a problem with neons and hatchetfish in the same tank
Do you have any experience with hatchets?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hatchetfish are great

I know this isn't the question, so hopefully you don't mind me saying. Rams do best in pairs so I recommend getting 2

r5n8xaw00

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have tried Neons twice and both times they carried diseases, and never lasted very long. So if you do get Neons get fugal meds too, chances are you will have to treat the tank for it.

candiedragon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In my experience, Neon tetras typically hang in mid and lower areas of the water column. There wouldnt be any issues with the hatchetfish.

I actually plan to do Hatchetfish once my LFS gets some in. Super excited for that. I think the Marbles look really cool lol. They seem to be a shy-type of fish so they wouldn't compete well with some other fishes, can be a bit skittish at first which is why lids is highly recommended, so a minimum of 6 would be necessary to help them feel safer. I was planning to do 8 of them in a 30" x 12" setup, I think a 29G tank is just about the same surface area.

You could probably do up to 8 Albino Corys, I find that Corys show a lot more activity when they feel they have enough buddies.

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JJBriant said:
Yes I did see that thank you! I was planning on a lid even if I didn’t get the hatchets, because of my cats lol. That’s something I’m not sure about though. I don’t know what kind of lid to get so that I can put a hang on back filter and a light because I want to plant my tank.

I have had a lot of people recommend the Bolivian ram for my aquarium so I think I am going to try it, but I have a back up plan if it doesn’t work. Do you have a recommendation for top floating plants. I tried duckweed in my 10 gallon and hated it

I am planning on setting up a 30 gallon aquarium. I already have a 10 gallon aquarium with 10 neon tetras, 4 albino corydoras, and a mystery snail that I plan on moving into the 30. I would also like to get 6 marble hatchet fish and a Bolivian ram. I would also like to get some more corydoras. How many Cory’s do you think I could put in there on top of the 4 I have already?
I tried duck weed before and I hated it too. I also tried water spangles I believe. The only plant that didn't cause me problems was my water sprite. It can be planted or floated, I have both. My bettas and gouramI love it. I believe frogbit it also recommended, but I never tried that.

If you get a pair of bolivians, they can be hard to sex. My two males just mated. Turns out my big male is a female. They can display the characteristics of the opposite gender. If you want a pair, it may be best to get a few extra bolivians at first (if your LFS accepts returns), wait for a pair to form and then return the spare rams. They do enjoy company, and their interactions are cute. A single ram can work though.

candiedragon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What some people suggest is that you get a small group and wait for a pair to naturally form and then return or rehome the rest.

I've had frogbit before, it was fun in a low-flow setup and the fish thoroughly enjoyed it. You could also float anacharis, or get some type of lily plant like Banana Plant or Red Tiger Lotus, Jungle Val grows nice and tall.

OP
J

JJBriant

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
countryrain said:
I have tried Neons twice and both times they carried diseases, and never lasted very long. So if you do get Neons get fugal meds too, chances are you will have to treat the tank for it.
I’m not too worried about the tetras because I’ve had them for a few months and they are doing great. But thank you for the insight!

Samanthaljay

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't have experience with hatchet fish but I agree to getting more than 6 corys. I have 8 in my 29 gal right now. They are currently my favorite to watch in my tank, always zooming around, digging in the sand and exploring

OP
J

JJBriant

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
smee82 said:
Yes I had them around 10 years ago.
Okay, I really like them and the way they look, but I’ve heard they are really fragile and I’m a little hesitant because I’m still fairly new to fish keeping and don’t want to kill them haha

OP
J

JJBriant

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am currently setting up a 30 gallon tank and my stocking plan is
10 neon tetras
8 albino Cory cats
Maybe a group of 6 hatchet fish(still undecided on these)
And I’m trying to decide whether I should get a honey gouramI or a Bolivian ram. Do you guys have any insight for me? I am planning on it being heavily planted as well

New Threads