What Fish Should I Add To My Pond ? Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by thejrav, Apr 22, 2018.

1. thejravNew MemberMember

I have a indoor pond which is around 2000 liters. The issue with the pond is that the depth is only 12 inches. What fish do you think I should add ?

I live in a tropical climate, the temperature averages 25 C all year around. FB_IMG_1522755676788.jpg

2. JeffsgloValued MemberMember

I would look into some kind of goldfish. But I don’t know what kind. Or some colorful smaller fish, that would look nice. You can google or YouTube small pond fish. That would give you a lot of ideas. I think your pond looks awesome by the way. African cichlids might be an option also they have beautiful colors.

3. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Or some medium sized Koi are also good. Because since it's only about a foot deep, the really really HUGE Koi would maybe get a bit uhhh..."claustrophobic"...? And also perhaps, a bit too crowded and almost too close quarters in such warmer temps.

4. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

I would look into celestial eye and bubble eye goldies... that would be rather interesting.

If they not your fancy, consider other fancy goldies - they on average a lot smaller than the single tailed fish and can easily scavenge on the bottom.

Other than that, have you thought on doing 'tropical fish' like tetras, livebearers, danios, plecos ect?

5. Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

Danios would be great. Awesome active fish. Great colors and patterns. Because your pond is so pretty top to bottom, I’d stay away from too many goldfish or koi. Nasty. They can’t help it, just how they are. No stomach. Food to poo instantly. Lol. Mosquito fish are darling. WCMM are very colorful. Guess it mainly depends on how big a fish you want. Check out aquarium forum and take a look at all the different fish in ponds. You’re in a perfect place for it! Keep posting pics! :)

6. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, Plecos could get MASSIVE in that set-up! And the goldfish as well, would probably become very large as well. Pretty convenient and nice that the overall temps there stay at a good level too...yeah you could pretty much do a million and 1 choices with that set-up! : )

Yeah goldfish ARE messy but...hmmm...in the end, it's up to you. You can pretty much throw anything in there!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2018
  7. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Tempwise in 25C will fit 90% of the fish in the hobby. I'd go for smaller fish in large schools.

8. rebellonikValued MemberMember

You're pond looks awesome man
    I wonder what pump you might be using to circulate water around without destroying the astehetic value of the setup
    Not sure bout pond fishes but will be following this tread for sure cause i love your setup

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2018
  9. thejravNew MemberMember

Thanks a lot for your wonderful replies guys, and thanks a for all the complements
    I'm sorry for taking ages to reply guys my end semester exams came up and I was forced to stay committed to studies.
    The pond aesthetically pleasing but my parents haven't thought of filteration or any other life support systems when building the pond. It's a bit hard to install all those components now while keeping it's clean looks and I'm working my butt off for it.
    I started building a sump filter and I'm planning to bury it partially while keeping the water outlets from the sump above the pond's water level. I designed the internals of the sump and had somebody to put it together for me. It will be delivered later today. I dug a 1foot deep pit to accommodate the sump and made the whole area look really messy. I'll attach a few pics here. You might not get the whole idea of the setup with these pictures but I'll keep posting frequent updates. Any suggestions to make improvements will be hugely appreciated.

Thank you once again

Thanks for the complement I'm using a 8000L/hr DC motor. 1526112956256.jpg

Made the whole place really messy and waiting for the sump IMG_20180512_093545.jpgIMG_20180512_093609.jpg

I had the same thought about koi ,I already have a 8 inch kujaku, I'm planning to exchange him for a few ranchu Goldfish

Tetras and danios are too small for me most tetras look good from the side, since this is a pond below the ground level I thought of going with goldfish, a mix of few types of goldfish would look nice from the top I guess, specially ranchu

Thanks a lot for the compliment ️I have never kept cichilids, most of the cichilid tanks/ponds I've seen have drift wood or big rocks inside. How do you think they'd do in a barebottom like mine ?

Thanks a lot ️ danios are a bit too small for me from the sides they do have really nice pattern but do they look that good from the top too ? Im compelled to have a school of ranchu Goldfish after seeing videos on youtube. I agree, they are really messy but I think vacuuming the bottom every couple of days is worth it for the looks they offer

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2018
  10. Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

Yeah the danios are small. I’m partial to sarassa comets myself. But they do get big!

11. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Notropsis chrosomus ?

12. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

I still think fancy goldies would love it in their, epsecially breeds like celestials which common folklore is that they were bred with upturned eyes to gaze at the emperors that walked by.... they are a fish that is 'meant' to be viewed from above, same with bubble eye goldies IMO. Another good goldie that looks good from above is tosakin.

Or some other minnow/shiner depending on the OP location! (I dont think OP is in the US...)

Have you also considered native fish to your area?

Or even a group of broad bodied fish - like freshwater stingrays...

13. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

I am neither hahaha. Notropsis are available here.

14. WobbegongWell Known MemberMember

Synodontis cats would be cool in a pond.

15. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Thats cool. I've only really heard them avaliable in the US, never seen them in Auz. But thats cool to know!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice