What fish should I add to my aquarium? Question

1. rachelespinoza Initiate Member

Hello!
    I have a 36 gallon bow front aquarium, which is well established. Right now I have 5 silver hatchet fish, a school of 6 neon and 6 rummy nose tetras, 3 starbai cory cats, 2 sparkling gouramis, and an albino bristle nose pleco.

My Tank looks pretty empty at the moment so I was wondering if anyone had a suggestions. I prefer smaller fish. I was thinking of maybe adding a pair of german blue rams. Nothing bigger than that though. Also, I would like to add a shrimp and/or snail. Something interesting but peaceful.

I am open to suggestions. Thank you!

2. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

You're tank looks pretty much stocked already. But I think you might be able to add the pair of GBR's. Or you can add a few shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. shayla1 Well Known Member Member

From experience, I can say the sparkling gouramis will eat pretty much any shrimp that you add to the tank. I had put sparkling gouramis in with my red cherry shrimp and they slowly disappeared. I didn't figure out until later that the gouramis would choose one at a time and eat it.

4. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore! I hope you enjoy the site.

5. rachelespinoza Initiate Member

shayla1 Interesting, I wouldn't think that would be a problem since they are tiny. Maybe bigger shrimp would be okay.

Sent from my XT907 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. Karlie Initiate Member

I would add more Neon Tetras :) The bigger the school the more full your tank will look.

7. Teishokue Well Known Member Member

Definitely more cories

If it still looks empty. Add some hardscape and plants

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You really need a few more corys, they're a shoaling fish & really should be kept in groups of 6+ of their own kind.
    A pair of rams would be ok, & you could also add to the tetra numbers

9. Ryba Initiate Member

Also be sure to buy the GBR pair from a reputable private breeder, as I have found personally that most often GBRs from stores are super sensitive, sickly, and prone to dying. If you research online, GBRs in LFS are mostly from Asia, where they are hormone injected so that they look pretty but in turn decreases their lifespan and health. I recently bought a pair from a breeder, and in my opinion they are way more gorgeous than the ones from the fish store. The breeder that I got my GBRs from is Yunite who sells GBRs on aquabid or on his own website.

10. rachelespinoza Initiate Member

Ryba thanks for the info! I'll check them out. Most of the GBRs I've seen in my area are advertised as being wild caught or they were balloon GBRs which looked a bit odd to me. So I would definitely find a good place to order some.

11. rachelespinoza Initiate Member

Coradee I got my corys from persmart. Surprising. I never buy fish from there but I couldn't pass them up. I haven't seen any corys at my lfs so I'll probably keep checking at petsmart for them.

12. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Sterbai are a commonly seen cory, hopefully they'll get some more in soon or you could even ask if they'd order some for you.
    Don't forget pics of your tank when it's stocked, we like pics ;)

13. rachelespinoza Initiate Member

Here's a few pictures of my tank right now. The gouramis are fast little guys so I only got a picture of one of them. I'm working on growing the Cambodia into separate plants instead of just one big one. Also, ignore the poop. Its time for a cleaning.

Attached Files:

14. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

It looks lovely, more cabomba would fill the back out nicely :)

15. rachelespinoza Initiate Member

16. rachelespinoza Initiate Member

I think I've decided against GBRs due to my waters hardness. I need to get a testing kit for water hardness but the water in my area is generally hard. Therefore, are there any other suggestions for fish I could keep instead of GBRs? I just tested my water and all my kevels are zero with a pH of 7.4-7.6.