Question What Fish Should I Add To My 44 Gallon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Keep the Asian theme going. (Odessa Barbs), are very colorful, not so common and won't pick on the Gouramis. For bottom feeders add a few non agressive variety of Loach.

Matthew Scheifley

Valued Member
Reaction score
Keep the Asian theme going. (Odessa Barbs), are very colorful, not so common and won't pick on the Gouramis. For bottom feeders add a few non agressive variety of Loach.
Okay, I’ll try that out. I have a few question though: first could I get them at a place like petco and pet smart? And secondly, how many should I get?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’d personally add a dozen or so kuhli loaches and a medium sized schooling species.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've bought good quality Odessa Barbs from Petco in the past.
They can custom order for you.

Matthew Scheifley

Valued Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to add some mollies/platies in my aquarium, but I have no idea how many I should add. I currently have two 3-spot gourmais, one snakeskin gourami, and a pleco in a 44 gallon tank. Here’s some photos:
IMG_0127.jpg
IMG_0129.jpg

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Depends on whether you plan on breeding them and keeping the fry or not, and if there's anything else you want to add
If you breed them and keep the fry you'll easily be taking care of 50-100 fish meaning you'll need a bigger tank or to find them a new home. If not you could do 5-7 depending on what else you want.

Matthew Scheifley

Valued Member
Reaction score
Depends on whether you plan on breeding them and keeping the fry or not, and if there's anything else you want to add
If you breed them and keep the fry you'll easily be taking care of 50-100 fish meaning you'll need a bigger tank or to find them a new home. If not you could do 5-7 depending on what else you want.
Okay, would it be the same for guppies? I’m stuck on getting either mollies or guppies.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You could maybe add a few more guppies than mollies since they're a little smaller, but both are livebearers and breed like crazy. If you dont want a ton of babies you can try to get all males or all females or see if your lfs can take the fry.

Cicca

Valued Member
Reaction score
"Breed like crazy', is an understatement.
I started with 2 gups, many moons ago-- 2 yrs later I had 2 10 gals, several 1 gals, 2 20gs and more fish than space! LOL.

It was wild and fun and beautiful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 33 64.7%