What fish (or other aquatic animals) do you want to keep but have never owned?

vyrille

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have always wanted to keep nautilus, mantis shrimp, and the giant isopod (all marine). Nautilus and especially the isopod have very particular requirements that cannot be easily met in a home aquarium, though I've seen nautilus being sold at my LFS once before. Oh and cuttlefish!

Joshaeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
LOTS. Rift lake cichlids, Dicrossus, numerous wild bettas (especially Betta macrostoma), Macropodus ocellatus, Black darter tetras, a WIDE range of killies, various dwarf cichlids...and the occasional dwarf seahorse fantasy (not realistic to keep a fish that will starve to death if you miss a single day of feeding and needs lots of live food, but those delusions still come up from time to time). There's probably many others I cannot immediately think of...such a long bucket list for a guy whose landlord does not permit more than 20 gallons of tank in the apartment.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There's two that stand out for me the first is Giant Gourami, the size is obviously the issue, it's just not viable for me to have a 200+ gallon aquarium at the moment.
The second is the Samurai Gourami, they have striking colours but i've never seen one available.
A bonus would be the Gourami's that require acidic water, i've not really messed with my pH yet, so getting that set up would prove a challenge in itself. Liqorice Gourami, Chocolate Gourami those kinds.

To summarize.... Gourami :p

Joshaeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
There's two that stand out for me the first is Giant Gourami, the size is obviously the issue, it's just not viable for me to have a 200+ gallon aquarium at the moment.
The second is the Samurai Gourami, they have striking colours but i've never seen one available.
A bonus would be the Gourami's that require acidic water, i've not really messed with my pH yet, so getting that set up would prove a challenge in itself. Liqorice Gourami, Chocolate Gourami those kinds.

To summarize.... Gourami :p
I am setting up a blackwater tank for either licorice gouramies or wild bettas...they need very soft water with little TDS and virtually no KH or GH, but fortunately most blackwater fishes are not too picky about the exact PH as long as those other parameters are met and are reasonably stable. In my experience, even if your tank started with distilled water, you are unlikely to get the PH below 5.8 without deliberately adding acids to the tank.

CHJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wolf fish. No idea why I have never had one, rainbow/purple wolf are pretty affordable and don't get too big.
Koi pond.
Asian Arrowana pool or shipping container tank.
Goliath Tiger fish Olympic swimming pool. Or Arapima Olympic pool (could put things like goonch and Adonis as bottom crew in there). Requires winning the lotto to build and winning 2nd lotto to feed. So I'm 2 lotto wins short.
1st live in captivity great white with attached seal colony. Need to buy and dig out entire neighboring county for this.
Imperial flower loach colony.
More rare plecos. Hypostomus Luteus, chubbies, Pseudacanthicus serratus, super red cactus, etc.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
yoyo loach, panda loach, zebra plecos, mega clown plecos, L471, Orange Laser cories, adofoi cories, GBRs, Apisto mcmasteri, apisto panduro, Apisto regani,apisto gibbiceps, apisto borelli, Betta falx, betta macromasta, Discus, Lepoldi angelfish, Hilltream loaches, Panda Garra, WCMM, glowlight danios, axeloderi rasboras, All of the fish in boraras genus, a colony of Parotocinclus jumbo, shellies, Jardini arowana, pea puffers, Amazon puffer, hairy puffer, barred pencilfish, golden pencilfish, gardineri killifish, clown killis, golden wonder killies, pearl killies, celebes rainbowfish, praecox rainbowfish, threadfin rainbowfish, other small rainbowfish, high fin variatus platies, wrestling halfbeak, dwarf pike cichlid and many MANY other fish.

Look how this list has no tetras. Tetras suck.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There’s way to many, but some of the top ones(the ones I will eventually try to get) are-
Marine betta
Blue wood shrimp(May add one or two to my upcoming Wetspot order)
Gold tetras
Toucan tetras
Macroetoma betta(again, might be able to get this pretty soon)

The marine betta is the one I want the most, but is likely at least 5+ years away.

GoldfishNatalie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I really want to own my own pet shop one day, and breed all the animals (guinea pigs, chickens, birds, fish, rabbits, ferrets etc...) to fill it. I am working towards that (and maybe when I grow up have 2 kids and a house full of aquariums and animal pens) I would have to have a pretty relaxed husband who doesn’t mind not going away often lol! But I would like cherry barb shrimp, neon guppies, ryunkin, panda, pearl scale and black moor goldfish, bettas, and angelfish are at the top of the list!

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A small number thats been 'for ages':

- freshwater rays
- vampire crabs (not legal in Aus)
- dwarf puffer (or freshwater puffers in general) (also no legal in Aus, native Aus puffers are brackish)
- discus
- splash tetras
- zebra loaches (not on the allowable import list)
- reef tank
- oscar

Some that Ive kept in the past and would love to keep again:
- halfbeaks (in a large enough group!)
- clown loaches
- silver kuhlies
- Colombian tetras

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year