what fish is this?

kribensis keeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
my dad brought these fish for his 4ft tank but the tank from which he brought them from did not have a name on the only thing we know is that they are a type of cichlid i personaly think they are texas cichlids if it is hard to tell tell me and i will take more in all the pics it is the fish with the black dots

Attachments

kribensis keeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
if you would like i will take more pics i just asked my dad and he said that there actually was a name on the tank but by what he can remember it said something like tatra cichlid and that why i think it may be a texas because there is now such thing as a tetra cichlid

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not so sure, the head and fin shape is more JD than texas....

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmm, I see what you mean but I'm 90% sure its a texas cichlid. My LFS has young texas cichlids and they look exactly like this.

If a young jack dempsey had as many blue sparkles as that I would be extremely surprized.
I would also say its face is to narrow to be a JD.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That link shows a close to full sized fish, they looks quite a bit different even at 5" than they do in that pic. As they get larger and larger their face becomes less pointed and looks more compact.

I would say "Texas" cichlid also (although it is an altogether different species than the Texas cichlid) , I would say Herichthys Carpintis NOT Herichthys Cyanoguttatus like the above link shows. H. Cyanoguttatus is the true Texas cichlid native to Texas, and also the only native cichlid to the United States. However this is rarely the Texas cichlid you find in the stores. It is almost always H. Carpintis which is from pretty far south in Mexico, to the East of Mexico City and that area if I remember correctly. Still a fun fish that goes through an outstanding color change when spawning.

Brian

The last picture in this article shows the difference in coloring when guarding fry.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom