Help What fish is this?

K&Lfish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi guys, me and my partner got a new tank about 4-5 months ago. After about 2 weeks we brought some live plants. And a week or so later we noticed we had baby fish!! They were black and so tiny I thought at first it might be insect larvae. We assume they came in on eggs on the plant. Unfortunately even though we moved them all to our well established older tank, only one survived. He/she is pictured above. Its roughly 4 months old. And I can not figure out what it is. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks :D

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, me and my partner got a new tank about 4-5 months ago. After about 2 weeks we brought some live plants. And a week or so later we noticed we had baby fish!! They were black and so tiny I thought at first it might be insect larvae. We assume they came in on eggs on the plant. Unfortunately even though we moved them all to our well established older tank, only one survived. He/she is pictured above. Its roughly 4 months old. And I can not figure out what it is. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks :D
Have you considered contacting the store where you got the plants? Some stores keep small fish in plant display tanks for algae control.
I would think some kind of ricefish, but I can't be sure either.

K&Lfish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was thinking rainbow fish or danio also. Can't wait for it to be bigger so I know for sure. I brought the plant attached to a rock from a pet shop around the corner from our house. We popped back after the little guys hatched. But the tank the plant came from had mainly angel fish in :/

The main thing that makes me think rainbow fish over danio is that it's eyes are definitely blue. Not sure if danio have blue eyes

Joker77

Valued Member
Reaction score
bad camera and danios are super hard to photograph because there always on the move but they definatly look like my danios.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks like it has two dorsal fins, so that would be a Rainbowfish.
Ahhh I see it now. That's a good catch, I never would of noticed it!

I change my vote to rainbow as well. You'll have to wait for it to mature to get an exact species, which may be harder if it turns out to be a female.

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My first thought was giant danio, hard to tell for sure when it's still young though.
My giant danio's didn't show much colour when they were younger. That's how I acquired my G.D's as well and thought at first they were mosquito's! :D

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One more vote for Rainbow. I often had young appear in my tank when I kept Giant Boeseman's.

K&Lfish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hope it is a rainbow fish. I've never had one before but always wanted one. Such a shame its brothers and sisters didn't make it :( can't wait to see what it grows up like

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When it does grow up be sure to try and pinpoint the species and get it a proper school. They are social schoolers that really prefer larger numbers to swim with.

K&Lfish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When it does grow up be sure to try and pinpoint the species and get it a proper school. They are social schoolers that really prefer larger numbers to swim with.
I definitely will. I've wanted rainbow fish fir ages so it'll be my excuse to get more :)

K&Lfish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
IMG_20191103_201116.jpg
IMG_20191103_201114.jpg
IMG_20191103_200928.jpg

Update, he/she is starting to get a little more colour. I found a fish online that look a bit like it - the cairns rainbow fish. What do you guys think?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom