What Fish Is This?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Ed204, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

I'm assuming it's a killifish of some sort. Perhaps a blue lyretail? However, I'm not sure.

What tank size is the bare minimum for these guys?

I know for the fact that Kilifish live in small bodies of water in the wild, so will a 10 Gallon be okay for one.

Current Stocking is:
    10x Ember Tetra
    1x Platy

Attached Files:

2. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

A species of aphyosemion I think. Chrome will know for sure.

3. OP
    OP
    Ed204

@chromedome52 it is then.

Anyway, thanks for your help. :)

4. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

A.australe would be my guess.

5. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

Fundulopanchax nigerianus or gardneri - all males in the photo. Nice fish - usually sold as the "steel blue killie".

6. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Alright Thanks, any idea on what's their minimum tank size?

7. KaderTheAnt

KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

A 10 gallon is a minimum

8. OP
    OP
    Ed204

My current stocking in my 10 gallon is this:
    10x Ember Tetras
    1x Platy

Would one be okay or am I full?

9. NavigatorBlack

I keep mine in a single species 15 gallon, where they have been breeding and looking good for many years now. They grow large enough (over 2 inches) that a 10 is the bare minimum. That said, anything below a 10 is a temporary container to me, not a tank.

They like planted tanks with tight lids (they can jump) and temperatures in the 22-24 range. I've kept them cooler with no breeding, and warmer in season. They have about a 3 year lifespan unless they are kept too hot, at which point it can drop to a year.

10 embers in a 10 is a fully stocked tank, to me.

10. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Hmmm Alright, I guess I'll stick to that stocking then.

I'll either try to keep a Peacock Gudgeon or one of these in the future.

Anyway, Thanks!

11. NavigatorBlack

It's amazing how similar they are for unrelated fish. I had peacock gudgeons in a tank beside nigerianus for a while. It's one of the really remarkable examples of convergent evolution in our hobby - one from Papau New Guinea, one from Nigeria, and such similar colours and patterns.

12. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Yeah, you have a point. That's why I'm interested in both of them.

13. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Actually, those are Fundulopanchax gardneri intra-specific hybrids. They have characteristics of both the nominal subspecies, gardneri gardneri, and the subspecies nigerianum. Current classification does not recognize subspecies, but gives both of these subspecies as synonyms to Fpx. gardneri. These are different populations that are genetically distant enough that their hybrid young tend to be all male. My personal opinion is that they should either accept the subspecies classification, or separate them into different species, but the nomenclature of this species complex is still in flux.

A cross that didn't used to happen as often because most killifish keepers were more cautious about keeping track of populations and subspecies. However, it has occurred every once in a while as far back as the 1960s. In recent years the crossing of populations, even within subspecies, has badly muddied the genetic pool for several populations that used to be quite distinct and very attractive.

If you are wondering how I can recognize these as hybrid, I was an AKA certified Killifish Judge for many years, and have developed an eye for spotting such fish. I have seen these before and, unfortunately, I expect I will see them again.

Get the Peacock Gudgeons.

14. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Noted with Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice