What Fish Is This?

1. JR-

JR- Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I have this fish, but I don't know what it is. I have searched all over trying to figure out what it is. I have a feeling it is a tetra. What kind of fish or tetra does it look like? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +2,638
    Hello!

Those are Rhombo Barbs or Snakeskin Barbs (Desmopuntius rhomboocellatus). Super cool; haven't seen them in the hobby in awhile.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get them? They're so nifty!

3. OP
    OP
    JR-

JR- Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hello :) I was completely off (lol) but thanks for the reply. There's actually a little bit of a story surrounding this. A buddy of mine was looking to get rid of the barbs. I failed to ask him what type of fish the barbs were as I naturally assumed they were tetras:facepalm: The good thing was, at the time I had a cycled 80 gallon tank I was looking to stock. Fast forward to about a week, I have them housed alone in an 80 gallon. They're a lot of fun to watch

4. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +2,740
    They will color up really nice if you drop the temperature to about 70F. Not a warm water Barb.

5. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1,242
    Just for the future, tetras have an adipose fin between the dorsal and caudal fin. If the fish doesn't have an adipose fin, it is most likely not a tetra.

Beautiful fish by the way!