What Fish Is This?

1. J

JR- Initiate Member

I have this fish, but I don't know what it is. I have searched all over trying to figure out what it is. I have a feeling it is a tetra. What kind of fish or tetra does it look like? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Those are Rhombo Barbs or Snakeskin Barbs (Desmopuntius rhomboocellatus). Super cool; haven't seen them in the hobby in awhile.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get them? They're so nifty!

3. OP
    OP
    J

JR- Initiate Member

Hello :) I was completely off (lol) but thanks for the reply. There's actually a little bit of a story surrounding this. A buddy of mine was looking to get rid of the barbs. I failed to ask him what type of fish the barbs were as I naturally assumed they were tetras:facepalm: The good thing was, at the time I had a cycled 80 gallon tank I was looking to stock. Fast forward to about a week, I have them housed alone in an 80 gallon. They're a lot of fun to watch

4. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

They will color up really nice if you drop the temperature to about 70F. Not a warm water Barb.

5. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

Just for the future, tetras have an adipose fin between the dorsal and caudal fin. If the fish doesn't have an adipose fin, it is most likely not a tetra.

Beautiful fish by the way!