What fish is this?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by klogue2, Dec 22, 2012.

1. klogue2

klogue2 Valued Member Member

I'm also curious what type of fish this is, because it was labeled "Apistogramma Ram Angel Val" ?! Looked it up and sure enough nothing of the sort came up. Sounds like they mixed a bunch of different names together.

Sorry for the pic, was taken with my phone.

The fish is yellow with a pudgy, short body and has the cichlid look to him.

IMG_0784.jpg

2. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Looks to be a yellow ballon ram which can be a mix of a ballon ram and a German blue ram.

3. OP
    OP
    klogue2

That's it! I looked up some pictures of that fish and it matches perfectly. Thanks! They really are unique and very pretty.

Edit: is it also called balloon blue ram? That's what most websites I'm looking at are referring to it as.

4. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Its just a balloon version of a normal German Blue Ram. Poor thing :(.

5. OP
    OP
    klogue2

Sorry to be dense but why is it sad? Are they human-made to be balloon-like? (sometimes I can be really slow haha)

6. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Inbred with ZERO regard to the fishes health. They have a severe spine deformity, no doubt causes discomfort and almost always ends with early death. They are bred to look like that by people who have no heart for fish.

7. OP
    OP
    klogue2

Oh wow, that's horrible :( I had no idea.

8. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

It is sad, Imo and the opinion of most on here, very cruel and pointless. They do it with Rams, Tetra, Mollies, Angel fish and a few others. "Balloon" anything refers to the deformity. They may also call them "Angel Rams" and "Butterfly rams"

9. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah. Balloons are basically deformed fish. They have a hard time competing with other fish for food and often starve. I had to feed my one guy by hand cause of it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice