What fish for this 60 gallon half barrel? will it work?

GusMcGrath202020

Hello everyone! I have a half barrel in my back yard that I want to turn into a mini fountain pond type thing. It is roughly 60 gallons and it is wood. will have a bunch of floating plants and I will try to make a hiding spot for what ever fish we put in there (what fish should I get?). I live in San Diego so it gets maybe mid 40s in the winter, what i'm worried about is the summer it gets in the 90s at most so will this be ok? Thank you!

Sofiafish17

Umm well you will definitely need to line it with a tarp or something like a pond liner but that won’t be a big deal. The thing that Immediately popped into my head for outdoor pond is Koi.
But I think think 60 gallons is too small for Koi.

Upvote 0

Catappa

Medakas! I'm planning on creating some very tiny ponds for them as well as keeping some indoors in an aquarium. With your temperatures, they can live outdoors all year round. Some have colors that make them look like miniature koi.
They are harder to find in the US. Join the facebook Medaka groups to get connections. You might have to order eggs and hatch them (I'm planning to do this).

Adding: you can keep them with White Cloud Mountain minnows. They are also very small fish.

Upvote 0

GusMcGrath202020

Thank you Guys! But I also have few more questions, for a pond like the one I have in mind do you do weekly water changes? I will be putting floating plants and other plants in it, so will those do the work? Also do I need a filter or just a pump? Thank you I'm used to aquariums not ponds :)

Upvote 0

Catappa

Thank you Guys! But I also have few more questions, for a pond like the one I have in mind do you do weekly water changes? I will be putting floating plants and other plants in it, so will those do the work? Also do I need a filter or just a pump? Thank you I'm used to aquariums not ponds :)
We have a whole thread on Fishlore about "porch ponds":
Porch Pond Thread | Ponds Forum | 495193

You can maybe find answers there or post your questions there. :)

Upvote 0

Evergreen2

Goldfish would be quite happy, I would stick to slender bodies, so no fancies. Common/Comets would work nicely. If you don't mind heating it, that would open up a world of possibilities.

Upvote 0

mrsP

Here in UK many goldfish live in ponds all year round, and it's cold in winter. So no need for heater, but they do cause a lot of mess.

Upvote 0

qldmick

If it was up to me I'd do a orange comet, golden comet and a shubunkin, 3 sounds like a good number.

Upvote 0

Catappa

Just saw this link on the Facebook UK Medaka group:
Here's part two with adding the fish

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
TheAnglerAquarist
Replies
Views