What Fish For Beginner/school Aquarium

BoyMelon

Hello everyone, I'm rather new to the world of aquariums and fish in general and need some help determining the starter fish for our school aquarium. Having dealt with aquatic turtles, I know some basics about aquatic animal care (not that it directly correlates with fish), but still don't know enough to properly assure my first batch for don't die or suffer. This is for a school aquarium.
Specifically, our teacher knows a great deal about pH, salinity, temperature, separate tanks, types of food to feed, and mostly everything in-between, but since my group is the one to get to choose what fish go inside the tank, I'm going to need some advice.

The tank is 30 gallons, freshwater, has a filter, small amount of foliage, all plastic atm (might need to be changed), a heater, bubbler, some lights, a good amount of substrate on the bottom (covers all of bottom), and is pretty new. As a result of being new, it hasn't matured.

If there is anything I'm missing, more info is needed, or anything in-between, please tell me so. I'd like to try my best to ensure these fish don't suffer and live a good life.

Platylover

Since this is a school tank I’d stock lightly so that there’s a little bit of room for error bioload wise. Just a few questions as well-

1. Are you looking for a singular fish or schools?

2. Is the heater adjustable so you can adjust the temp? If not what’s the temp?

3. Is the tank cycled? If not you’ll want to cycle it prior to adding fish as doing a fish inncycle is stressful. Granted you might be able to get away with it if you used a bottled bacteria like stability.

4. Can you post a photo of the tank so we can know how much cover there is?

ValerieAdams

HI and welcome to Fishlore!!

Do you want a single fish or a group of fish? Is your heater adjustable?

First, I encourage you to read about the nitrogen cycle (click on the highlighted words) and get the tank cycled before adding the fish. Doing a fish-in cycle would be rather difficult if you have little time on your hands for water changes

BoyMelon

DutchAquarium said:
what is the substrate, sand or gravel? read up on the nitrogen cycle also.
Currently, gravel. And yes, I saw the Nitrogen Cycle post and will check it out after school .

Platylover said:
Since this is a school tank I’d stock lightly so that there’s a little bit of room for error bioload wise. Just a few questions as well-

1. Are you looking for a singular fish or schools?

2. Is the heater adjustable so you can adjust the temp? If not what’s the temp?

3. Is the tank cycled? If not you’ll want to cycle it prior to adding fish as doing a fish inncycle is stressful. Granted you might be able to get away with it if you used a bottled bacteria like stability.

4. Can you post a photo of the tank so we can know how much cover there is?

1. Schools currently.

2. I do think it is adjustable, but I don't know the exact current temp. It is around the 70s (Fahrenheit)

3. I'll also have to ask if it is cycled. Currently, according to my teacher it is "ready for fish." I'll have to ask what she means by that.

4. I'll try to get a picture of it

ValerieAdams said:
HI and welcome to Fishlore!!

Do you want a single fish or a group of fish? Is your heater adjustable?

First, I encourage you to read about the nitrogen cycle (click on the highlighted words) and get the tank cycled before adding the fish. Doing a fish-in cycle would be rather difficult if you have little time on your hands for water changes
Group of fish. The heater is adjustable, I believe.

I'll read up on the cycle when I get home, and currently do not know if it is cycled. I will have to ask. Thanks for the advice!

Redshark1

I keep two aquariums at school.

Advice depends on your priorities.

Do you want it to be very interesting to watch what is going on OR do you want it to be more functional and ornamental ?

david1978

Zebra or leopard danios were always my go to fish for begginers. They have long tail morphs also. The used to be about indestructible not so much anymore but still really hardy.

Becknewt24

Welcome! I see that people have told you about the nitrogen cycle, or at least to look into it. I have harlequin rasboras, and most of them have been going strong through all my mistakes. I highly recommend them. Also might want to look into getting a lid.

Thunder_o_b

Greetings and welcome to Fishlore

My recommendation is spend some time moving through the site. Read the many posts where people show their aquariums. Many fish are discussed along with plants (there are plants that require little care). There are a lot of photos so you can see what many different fish look like and what their needs are. Look closely into filtration and water chemistry. Filtration is something that often trips up those new to fish keeping. Ideally you want 10x the water column in Gallon Per Hour filter flow.

ChuthuluFish

I HIGHLY recommend black neon tetras. The same bunch has survived everything. From 2 failed cycles. 2 complete tank re starts.1 minI cycle, And ick Twice, In a cycle process.

Its eather I got hardy and or imortal bunch of fish. Or these fish are generally hardy

imba

White clould mountain minnows are easy and hardy. They are also pretty adaptable to different temperatures.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom