What Fish For A 40 Gallon?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by ap4lmtree, May 26, 2018.

1. ap4lmtree

ap4lmtreeWell Known MemberMember

I am going to get a extra 40 gallon, and i am wondering if i could keep an oscar or jack dempsey or what.

I would like a personable and smart fish like an oscar, but 40 gallons is too small i guess.

2. Adrian Burke

Adrian BurkeValued MemberMember

Flowerhorns are very personable fish, and can be kept in a 40gal somewhat comfortably, but flowerhorns do not do well with decorations, plants, or aquascaping.

3. OP
    OP
    ap4lmtree

people say oscars need a 55 gallon, but i was thinking that 40 gallon breeder has a bigger footprint, i was wondering if that mattered

4. Adrian Burke

Adrian BurkeValued MemberMember

It’s not as much about the footprint as oscars just need a lot of space. They’re big fish.

5. OP
    OP
    ap4lmtree

Okay, well if i wanted just chichlid(s) then, what would be a smart and personable one for a 40 gallon?

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  6. RonJ

RonJWell Known MemberMember

A Shortbody Flowerhorn
    A Green Terror
    One pair 0f Blood Parrots
    A Parachromis Loisellei
    A Pair of Pink Convicts(Not so personable) but you can see interesting breeding behavior
    A Jack Dempsey
    A Pair of blue acars

All these fishes actually have become personable to me. Except the Convicts(they always lived in their world). But flowerhorn really wins by a hugeee... margin.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice