What fish food should I get?

1. cameronpalte Member Member

What food do you think I should get for these fish? I'm open to all suggestions, flakes, treats, multiple types, just let me know:)... thanks! If it makes a difference the tank is 55 gallons.

12(Neon Tetra)
    6(Fancy Guppy-Female)
    2(Fancy Guppy-Male)
    8(Panda Corydoras Catfish)
    12(Glowlight Tetra)
    1(Clown Plecostomus)
    8(Celebes Rainbow)
    8(Purple Passion Danio)
    4(German Blue Ram)

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You should get a high quality pellet for a staple food, to comprise the bulk of the fish's diet. You can add other stuff, like "treats", but in addition too, not in place of the pellets. The pellets should be fed every day, with occasional secondary feedings of other stuff.

It's been years since my fish have eaten anything other than NLS thera A, and they practically jump out of the tank for it. The idea that fish can get bored with eating the same food all the time is just nonsense.

3. cameronpalte Member Member

Ok, thanks for the advice, I'm looking into thera A (as I said in other post to you). Now as some questions about thera A with all the fish I plan on having would putting some Thera A in it be enough, and will the fish in my tank get enough food?

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Whether or not the fish get enough food is a reflection of your feeding habits. The pellets come in various sizes - for the fish you want, 0.5 and 1 mm sizes are perfect. The 0.5 mm is small enough to be suspended in the water, while the 1 mm sinks to the bottom. Almost all fish will happily eat off the bottom. The only fish I have that doesn't is the african butterfly. Feeding small foods is essential to making sure all the fish are getting their share, and eliminating aggression at feeding time. It's very difficult to claim 50 pellets scattered across the bottom....

5. cameronpalte Member Member

This is the link I found for the food:

http://www.petco.com/product/112087/New-Life-Spectrum-Thera-A-Regular-Formula-1mm-Sinking-Pellet-Fish-Food.aspx

It seems to have gotten some very nice reviews, going in line with what you said. So is that food enough? For a tank like mine, how much food should I feed to them, and how often.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I think it's enough - I've had no reason to feed them anything else. But many people feel that they have to feed a variety of foods in order to get proper nutrition. This can be the case, if the foods they are feeding are inferior and lacking - that's the whole rationale for it - since none of the foods are complete, you have to feed a bunch of foods to make sure they get everything. However, if you are feeding a food that IS complete, there's no need to feed anything else. You will not find a better, more complete and comprehensive list of ingredients in any other food. I disagree with the idea of feeding variety for varieties sake.

This is an excellent read, and while yes it is somewhat of a sales pitch, it doesn't invalidate the information.

http://nlsfishfood.com/pdf/nutrition_article.pdf

7. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

I'd feed frozen foods too. my fish love that.

-j

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I use a mix of NLS Community, NLS Betta, Hikari Cichlid Bio Gold, and some random sample betta pellets (can't let those samples go to waste! :p), all in a little tubberware container (and rest in a zip lock bag). Mostly, though, I pick out the NLS pellets, and feed those. I feed this mix to all my fish, except my Goldfish. They get goldfish pellets. I also feed Hikari Bio Pure frozen bloodworms, and so far they are my favorite brand of frozen bloodworms.

9. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I used to use Tetramin and always had good results with it. I have since switched to Reparshy and NLS Thera A, so far the fish love the NLS, and they have yet to get the Reparshy but will soon.

As far as treats go, I feed them either blood worms, brine shrimp, black worms, or whatever else my local store has in the freezer, I usually buy a mid sized quantity and rotate with each purchase.

10. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I use the NLS thera A pellets, NLs algea wafters and shrimp pellets( forgot what brand). I feed all my fish everyother day . Once a week is treat day and I give them brine shrimp, bloodworms and veggies.

11. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Oh, yeah, I have NLS Algae wafers, too, for the snails and pleco :)

12. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

whats reparshy?

-j

13. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

My cories, clown pleco, amano and red cherry shrimp love them. So do the blood parrots, I have to put extra in that tank so they won't steal the one from the clown pleco.

14. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Its a new brand of food that you make yourself. You buy it as a powder, and make it like Jell-o =D

15. ploopy Member Member

I feed my fish nls and frozen food for a treat.I think my fish got better color when I switched them over.

16. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

I feed Omega One and NLS. Treats like bloodworms and brine shrimp are fed weekly. Vegetables like cucumber and zucchini are fed occasionally. When I have free time, however, I try and make my own food!

17. cameronpalte Member Member

Ok, thanks for all of the advice guys!