What fish fishlore? 20 Gallon Tank

1. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Yay im getting a 20 gallon tank soon and you know the feeling trying to decide what fish to get. I dont want tetras i have them or any livebarers.I kinda want a DG or a bolivain ram?, but i dont what else to get cause im not experinced in bigger fish. So if you guys could help that would be great :D

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Hmmm... How about:

-1 Ram (GBR or Bolivian)
    -6 Ottos
    -2 schools of 6-8 small schoolers.

Dunno what kind of schoolers you want. I always like the look of Neons over live plants <.<

Or you could do something fun, and do a pair of Kribs (or Rams), and a school of dither fish =D

3. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Thank you Heres my revised list hopefully this would

idk if they carry these where i am

but

1 GBR
    7 Serpae Tetra i like there fins :D
    6 Green Tiger Barb there coloring is cool but idk?
    2 Albino Corys and maybe 2 SAE?

or a pair of BR

and 6 Serpae Tetra

and 2 albino corys and 2 SAE

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I think these stocks have too much attitude for a GBR. I find they like to be top dog in the tank. Either way, I'd leave out the SAE's and add more Cories.

Long Finned Serpaes are indeed something to behold, aren't they? =D

5. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

ok so just corys instead of SAE? and also where do you think i can find a pair of gbr im sure they wont have them at petco.Just males I believe

Yes there the betta of tetras lol :)

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd say either cories, or SAEs, or Ottos. Just one :) Numbers depend on what you want.

If PetCo sells young ones, they'll have mixed sexes. Its hard to sex them when they're young. The best way to do it is to look at their dorsal fin. The second ray will be extended slightly in males. But the size of the fish matters when doing it this way, as well as sexing by color. Best bet is to buy 3 of them, and then rehome the third-wheel when they pair off :)

7. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

lol that would suck if i got three males or something lol.Yea if they have ottos and the petstore ill get em instead but idk, i know they have cories. ill make sure to research it more before i go.

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Also, if you're shopping at PetCo, I'd recommend their black sand :)

I just thought of something! Is this a 20 long or a regular one? For some reason I was under the assumption it was a 20 long...

9. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

10. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

i dont really no i still have to look at it. im amusing it may be a high but ill look when i get there to see it.

11. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

If its not a long, don't do a pair of anything bigger than GBRs. Bolivians and Kribs get bigger, and will not be very happy with sharing the bottom with another of their kind!

Also if its not a long, I'd go with SAEs or Ottos, that way the bottoms not too cluttered.

Sexing by color does you no good when a fish is stressed, such as in a store environment :p Do you see what I'm talking about with the dorsal fin, too?

12. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Just to comment, Tiger Barbs and Serpae tetras shouldn't be kept in a 20g IMO. Especially not the Tiger Barb(arians). How long is your 20g?

13. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Ok ill make sure to make sure its a long if im considering them if not ill just go with the GBR and a few ottos and a school of tetras

by the way which fin im confused lol

14. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

The dorsal fin (the one on top :p). You can see that second ray of the males dorsal fin is longer than the females.

15. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

ok im not gonna add that school now :D

i think like 25'' i think it might be a 20 gallon high so im not gonna stock it so much.

16. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

i was looking at the bottom fin! lol ima fail.
    yea i see it now.

17. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

This what i got

A pair of Blue German Rams
    6 Serpae Tetra
    4 Siamese Algae eater
    and ill have MTS and maybe RCS when i get babies!

18. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

19. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Rogue, Tigerbarbs in a 20 is a no!

Make sure you aren't getting Chineese algae eaters!

20. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

ok its a high. i just found a better deal for a 29 gallon which i might get insted ill add some more SAE and a few more tetras.