What fish do I have?

ZER0C00L

We got some of these from tank dreams online and we don't think there what was advertised need help to I'd these if anyone knows what they are claimed to be congo tetra's

Attachments

• IMG_20211013_185727111_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211013_185727111_HDR.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 60

Mycatisanorange

Possibly Danios or a mix of something that was advertised?

ZER0C00L

There 2 inches long
We know there not danios
He said there wild caught Congo tetra's
Plus there juveniles

Hellfishguy

Could use a better photo . I can’t tell whether they have adipose fins or not.

ZER0C00L

Zoomed in to show fish better
Here's one of them when they arrived

Attachments

• IMG_20211013_185727111_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211013_185727111_HDR.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20211012_141120723_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211012_141120723_HDR.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 44

Hellfishguy

Definitely not juvenile Phenacogrammus interruptus.

ZER0C00L

Yup at a loss here
Wife's mad. I got them in a ten gal ATM cause I wasn't going to add them in with our German blue rams

emberopal

They look like a Rasbora to me, except without the coloration, but that could be because of stress from traveling. My best guess is a Three-Lined Rasbora or Brilliant Rasbora, just based on body and fin shape.

BigManAquatics

I see OP has seen the movie "Hackers"!

I agree, the shape does remind me of my scissor-tail rasboras, but the coloratiins and markings are off to be them.

ZER0C00L

Been my tag for over 20 yrs
He said he unboxed them from Africa I'm just trying to figure out what they are
He said he unboxed them from Africa I'm just trying to figure out what they are

ZER0C00L

I think they might be silver rasboras

ZER0C00L

My instinct at first glance was scissor tail rasboras.
Ya but they don't have the black and white tips
Don't even look like the picture on his site the pic looks like congo tetra's
Don't look nothing like this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211014-115836.png
    Screenshot_20211014-115836.png
    341.3 KB · Views: 17

Mudminnow

I don't know what they are, but I believe I see adipose fins. Look at the middle fish in front of the "A messy kitchen is a sign of happiness" brown thingy. Considering this, I think you have some sort of tetra/characin there.

Blacksheep1

Congo tetras ! One of My favourite fish !!

edit: I’ve just gone back and looked again as I saw the other posted pic first, my bad . When I got my old Congo’s and they were small they didn’t actually look like that, I don’t think they were that slim and had a deeper body but they were quite an uninteresting fish when small until they grew beautiful. They could just be very small juveniles though. It’s the line that’s throwing me off Congo’s
I see a “chat with us button” in your screen shot , could you start a convo with them and outline your concerns , share a photo or get them to send you one of the juvenile Congo’s they have in to compare ?

MacZ

Pretty sure they are characins and very likely african. Maybe juvenile Phenacogrammus auratiacus or Alestopetersius caudalis.

At first I thought juvenile tigerfish. They do have the shape and proportions.

WRWAquarium

River monsters! :D

Hellfishguy

Perhaps a Micralestes species.

ZER0C00L

Attachments

• IMG_20211014_161211968.jpg
    IMG_20211014_161211968.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 18

MacZ

I think Hellfishguy got the closest.

Well, that means they are at least african tetras and so they are related to congo tetras.

ZER0C00L

Related or not I payed for these and there not Congo tetra's we knew they weren't when we unboxed them but tank dreams swears they are and said wait two weeks and then if I'm unhappy he will refund me
Now we have five fish we don't know what to do with and what would be good tank mates for them

MacZ

I get it.
What were you going to keep the congos with? These here have similar requirements and compatabilities, so they can be stand-ins.

Hellfishguy

The dealer may have been telling a half-truth in that the fish are tetras from the Congo, just not P. interruptus. I purchased the fish in my avatar pic as a checkerboard barb.

ZER0C00L

The dealer may have been telling a half-truth in that the fish are tetras from the Congo, just not P. interruptus. I purchased the fish in my avatar pic as a checkerboard barb.
Looks like a apistogrmma

MacZ

Looks like a apistogrmma
It's a Dicrossus.

I purchased the fish in my avatar pic as a checkerboard barb.
Wow, this is glaring incompetence on their part.
German blue rams and neon tetras
We have a well planted 40 gal running on a ten gal sump with pothos we have 5 catappa leaves 4 logs duck weed Anubis and rock structures built in the middle
Probably not the best idea to combine congo tetras with those in the first place.

Got a picture?

ZER0C00L

It's a Dicrossus.

Wow, this is glaring incompetence on their part.

Probably not the best idea to combine congo tetras with those in the first place.

Got a picture?
Of which fish?

TClare

I purchased the fish in my avatar pic as a checkerboard barb.
I have had some misidentified fish, but at least they were all cichlids!

chromedome52

My first thought was Hemigrammopetersius intermedius, but they didn't seem dark enough in color. Now I find that name has been synonymized with Rhabdalestes septentrionalis, but the photos don't look anything like the fish I knew as intermedius. It also lacks the oddly shaped male analfin that I associate with the name intermedius.

African Characiforms have not been studied with the same level of scrutiny as the South Americans. Perhaps with some growth and maturity, it will give up more secrets to a proper ID.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
60 Gallon Tank Are These Eggs?
Replies
Views
Mcasella
Replies
Views
hazyvonne
  • Question
Replies
Views