what fish do i get? 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Bobby Callaghan, Mar 25, 2010.

1. B

Bobby Callaghan Valued Member Member

Hi i have just got a 25 gallon tank and now i need to get the fish. I need to know which fish to get and im a begginer by the way. I also need to know which fish are hardy and which can i introduce first and how many fish i can have and iif you can give me any more useful information that would be great. Thank you. :;cr

2. OP
    OP
    B

What fish?

:;scuba i have a tank so now i need the fish. which ones do i get.
    The tank is tropical freshwater and im a begginer. Thx.

3. thequietman44

thequietman44 Valued Member Member

Welcome to FishLore Bobby!

It really depends on what you want to do with your tank. I started with a 5g species tank, but wanted a tropical community tank so I got a 36g. I had no idea what fish I wanted, but I always liked the look of schooling neon tetras so decided to start with them.

I see in your profile that you don't know about the Nitrogen Cycle. I'd recommend reading up on that and making sure your aquarium is cycled before adding any fish.

Once your tank is cycled, I'd say try to start a little understocked with some fish recommended for beginners (platies, danios, etc.), that way you have a little room for future additions and the fish will be a little more forgiving if you run into problems.

4. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Since you're a beginner, I would recommend some of the easier fish like live bearers (mollies, platies, guppies, swords). I got my son five platies and they are bright, colorful and active little things.

5. fbn

fbn Well Known Member Member

First off, you want to read about cycling your tank. This is a VERY big step to making a healthy tank. A great bottom feeder for your tank would be cories. They do like schools. Oh, and welcome to fishlore!

6. C

Charlemagne Valued Member Member

Welcome to fishlore! I'd suggest a platy or maybe some mollies to start off with. DEFINITELY read about cycling your tank . . . .i think there's an article on here somewhere about it . . .maybe some one else can tell you where it is. Um, that's about all the good fish I can think of right now. (My brain isn't working just right right now) I'll post later if I think of any more.

7. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!
    Two of your threads have been merged, the third deleted (since there were no replies)
    It's only necessary to start one thread for a question.
    Thanks and enjoy the forum!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  8. funkman262

funkman262 Well Known Member Member

:sign0016:

9. x

xxSTEPHENSxx Valued Member Member

:;hi2

10. 1

1hawaii50 Valued Member Member

Welcome to the forums! I started my 38 gallon with Praecox Rainbows (Neon-dwarf rainbows), panda corys, and I just added 2 rainbow platys.

11. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

First thing (as has been suggested) is to read up on and understand the nitrogen cycle. It is the most important thing to understand when keeping fish.

Next, just go to the fish store and look for some fish you think you might be interested in having. Then post back and people can give you some guidiance from there.

12. OP
    OP
    B

what can i have with a siamese fighting fish?

13. OP
    OP
    B

And how many zebra danios can i have in a 25g tank?

14. fbn

You can have fish with a betta, but I wouldn't recommend it. I had a betta with my fish and I would steer away. You can never have fish that are nippy (so no danios) and then fish like guppies that can be mistaken for other bettas are a no no too.

Without a betta you could have a good size school of danios. Probably up to around 10.

15. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

With a betta you'd be pretty limited in stocking. They are solitary fish that prefer to be alone. Snails, corys and ghost shrimp are about what they are willing to tolerate in their space... and they might just eat the shrimp ;)

never had danios so I'll leave that one alone

16. OP
    OP
    B

can anyone give me a random list of tropical fish and how many that could live together in a 25g. because its hard to decide.

17. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

My betta does well with platys (which are a very hardy fish). As others stated read up on nitrogen cycle. Mollies are also great. Start off with 1-3 fish (there are sooo many varieties of platy, you'll find some you like. My fav are coral platy and black lyre tail mollies). Good luck and prepare to become addidcted. Soon you will want multiple tanks. Lol. Best advice I can give is patience is key.

Oh and by the way, if you do put a betta in make sure to have a LOT of plants; I prefer live, but fake will do. As long as the betta has a good hiding spot or two that are his I don't think you'll have a prob.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  18. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

More commonly referred to as a "betta", as you can see from the above posts.

Bettas are solitary and prefer their own space. They can be overly aggressive with other species.

When I first started fishkeeping, I read on-line about a lot of different fish, then I took a notepad to the store and looked at all the fish, writing down the ones I liked best but not making a purchase. I did more research at home to see what fish would do well with other fish. Only then, did I make my purchase. And even then, in a new tank, you have to purchase your fish a few at a time to maintain good water parameters.

There's much to learn when you're new. Take the time to read about cycling your tank and ask many questions about fish compatibility before you bring any fish home. Your fish will be happy and that will make you happy. ;D

Oh yeah, and welcome! :;hi2

19. Prince Powder

Prince Powder Well Known Member Member

Hello and welcome to Fishlore!

As mentioned above, the first thing you want to do is read up on the Nitrogen Cycle. It is extremely important to keeping fish. If you don't have a properly working nitrogen cycle you will run the risk of your fish getting sick or dying. The short, short version is this: When your fish poo they release ammonia into the tank. Ammonia is very toxic to fish, but there are bacteria in your tank which will grow and eat the ammonia and turn the ammonia into nitrite. Nitrite is also very toxic to fish, but there are more bacteria that will grow to eat the nitrite and turn it into nitrate. Nitrate is the final step of the nitrogen cycle and it is not toxic to fish as long as you keep the levels low with your regular water changes. You can make your tank safe for fish by growing your bacteria before you get your fish. Here are Four Methods Of Fishless Cycling that will explain how to make your tank safe first. It generally takes about a month for your bacteria to grow enough to complete the nitrogen cycle and turn all the ammonia and nitrite into nitrate so that will give you plenty of time to go through your stocking options.

Here are some of our Freshwater Fish Profiles to get you started. Pick one or two fish you are interested in keeping, make sure they are going to be okay for your size tank, then we can help you find compatible tank mates for them. It is difficult to just throw out random fish without knowing what fish you are interested in. It is much easier to start with one species and build from there.

20. fbn

If I were you I would pick a fish and go from there. Maybe start out with 1 or 2 platies, then in about a week maybe get another. From there think about other fish species you would like. There are so MANY options! Just make sure you get the hardiest first!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice