What fish did you guys start with?

1. Jasonnnnnnnz Member Member

I personally started a goldfish tank with absolutely no knowledge and have 1 shrimp tank and a community tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Vongchanh25 Member Member

I started with bettas and then moved to community tanks but now I only have bettas

3. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Started with platies, cories, and bettas. After many years and many different kinds of fish, cories, and obviously bettas are still my favorites.

4. celizabethh3 Member Member

I started with a betta also. :)

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Believe it or not I started with 2 wild crappie that I caught fishing and took hone to eat. When we got home , 2 hours later, they were still barely alive so I stuck them in a 10 full of hose water and waited. I knew nothing about the nitrogen cycle or anything but they survived for a year and a half and started my MTS :p

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

bleeding heart tetras.

poor guys went through a cycle, survived Ich, fought with my breeding angel pair, and lasted through a tank that broke/spilt. They are missed.

7. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I started with fancy goldfish as a child then had a variety of native fish, sticklebacks, minnows etc collected from a local stream. (I had a crush on a cousin who was into collecting them so I did too haha) then I moved on to a variety of tropical fish & the addiction began

8. emmynk Well Known Member Member

Adfs and I think a white cloud mountain minnow. The two adf's were only supposed to live three years (said the petshop lady) but the buggers lived 7.

9. Jonny8824 Initiate Member

My very first fish was ur common gold fish that I was won at the county fair when I was 5 years old. He was kept in just ur normal fish bowl. Now Im 26 and have a 29 gal aquarium with 3 gold fish named Dean, Sam, and Goldeen, 1 giant danio named Cass, 2 Rosy barb named Mr & Mrs Rose (they are spies lol), 1 white fan tailed named Casper, 1 Algae eater named Consuela, 1 clawed albino frog named Poliytode, and 3 apple snails named Speedy, Shelly, and Sheldon. I've had all my babies for a month now and they are all doing great!

These are some pics of my snails. I'll try to get better ones soon. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1404888179.862898.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1404888198.625881.jpg

Yellowcard Rocks My Socks Off!

10. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I started with the classic common goldfish in a bowl as a child. As a teen three fancy goldfish in a 10Gallon.

Once I moved out and started really looking into fish my MTS began! I now have goldies, a betta, multiple community and snail tanks. The Goldies are still my fave, they remind me of my childhood I think :)

11. Anthony10 Member Member

A salt water aquarium, I know it's a weird start to fish keeping, but I remember always helping my dad clean the tank and of course, pick out fish!

-Anthony

12. SW5 Well Known Member Member

I believe that I started with a five gallon, with the wonderful recommendation from a chain store of one Molly fish, one zebra danio, three Platys and a nerite snail. The danio ended up killing the Molly in his frustration of not having a shoal anymore. He was returned to the store, and I soon upgraded to my 20 gallon, thanks to the wonderful advice I received from fishlore.

13. Crissandra331 Member Member

My first fish was a Halfmoon Beta name Linus, he was in a 14gal w/ plastic plants. Then I made the mistake of getting guppies, and a pictus catfish cause they didnt have any common plecos :(

Total rookie mistake.

Pictus killed my guppies, returned catfish. I've always been really good about my water even since the beginning but even as a beginner I couldn't keep up with the meticulous water quality that their extravagant fins needed and the combination of the plastic plants. Every now and then tempted by their beauty but too high maintenance, sadly their sold as one of the simplest fish to keep but i personally will never get another one.

[​IMG]
    Linus R.I.P

14. JeffK Well Known Member Member

White cloud mountain minnows (golden variety - one still with me!)

15. Anthony10 Member Member

Since everyone has kinda told a story I'll share a mistake I made...

Petco, the only place I bought fish from. I found a Longnose hawkfish! Yay! 50$ and a I brought him home... While the keeper was netting him he got a spine stuck in the net! Oh no! I was about to say nah, I'll pass today, but he gave us a 2 week warranty on him! So I brought him home! The next morning my coral beauty angel was dead :( 1 day after the warranty expired the hawk flew out of the tank and died... 50$ dead and the longest lasting fish in the tank died... :(

-Anthony

16. WiFi Well Known Member Member

3 African Cichlids I bought at Wal-Mart that I put in a 10g. Started looking up stuff on them a few weeks later and realized my mistake. Needless to say I got a 55g a few weeks later LOL
    Win/Win I say for the fish and I!
    :;banaman

17. renthus Well Known Member Member

First tank fish? 5 ember tetras, 3 of which are still with me. One mysteriously vanished, and another died of... something last year (although he always seemed a bit sickly).

First fish period? 3 shubunkin, 3 comets, and 3 fantails in my pond.

18. terrynachos Member Member

Started young with a goldfish. Now all grown up i have a betta (Lloyd) who has stuck with me for a year or more now and happy. I just recently jumped into the deepend with a 75gallon convict firemouth salvini cichlid mix lol. Fun times!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

19. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

When I was little my dad always had saltwater tanks. My first fish that I took care of myself was a betta. but than I got a 10gallon for Christmas and got goldfish which now live happily in my dads pond and now i have two bettas and guppies:)

20. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

A 5 gallon with 8 black neon tetras. 0_0 I still have two which are nearing their 4thish birthday! It used to be 3 but my oldest 5 year old tetra passed away a few months ago.